Struggling to find a replacement drain cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have what look to me like standard drain covers and sleeves from around 30 years ago. They are concrete and the cover part is roughly 540mm x 695mm in size, I've attached an image.

I need to replace the cover part only as we are building decking over both drains, but can't seem to find the right size, very frustrating.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Think I'd be inclined to either leave things be and build a trapdoor cutout from the decking or remove the existing covers and frames and build up with new covers at the same height as decking.

Not sure what you're trying to achieve, op. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm going to build into the decking 2 access hatches, but I will need the drain covers to be lite, the concrete ones are a nightmare already let alone when the deckings there.

The deckings not a problems its the replacement cover that is :0)?

Dex, what I'm trying to achieve is to find replacement drain covers, its not a question about decking?

What not buy a lightweight cover and frame and change the lot. :rolleyes:

Dex, what I'm trying to achieve is to find replacement drain covers, its not a question about decking?
Okey dokey. In which case it's probably be easier to find a lightweight cover with frame, remove the old one and setting the new one (possibly lower down by a level of bricks) in situ-cast concrete. Sounds a lot harder than it is really. :)

Man this is hard work, the decking will be 600mm above the cover and the covers are heavy concrete, whether it has a concrete or metal or plastic or whatever cover clearly I will be including trap doors, I have already said that.

The issue is that the weight will mean only having vertical access a nightmare, I was just trying to source a metal, or other lighter alternative to the concrete.

Are we saying they don't exist?

The rectangular access and cover, sit on a circular chamber, which are cemented together and reinforced. Trust me either it stays as is or I just replace the cover, they are the only options, a new complete replacement probably won't fit anyway, they are to small.

The rectangular access and cover, sit on a circular chamber, which are cemented together and reinforced. Trust me either it stays as is or I just replace the cover, they are the only options, a new complete replacement probably won't fit anyway, they are to small.
Well make one out of timber/ply/plastic then. FFS, they're only metal so you don't fall through them which you ain't going to do as you have decking over them

I haven't needed to raise my covers in the last 45 years. :mrgreen:

It's not exactly a regular exercise, or is it

In any case why not just smack all the concrete out and just leave the steel lid.

Gonna make the Barbie interesting building a deck over the inspection chamber :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back