Stubborn creaking floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and nice forum
Posted this on another DIY forum but throught i'd post here too just in case

I have a spare room in our house which creaks like hell, i thought ok lets get the boards up and have a nosey then glue back down and use screws instead of nails.
Took me best part of 4 hours to get all the bloody nails out and 2 quite nasty cuts later theyre all out

However i cannot get the two T&G chipboards to come free, video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3eqG3Ilzs

Can anyone suggest anything please.? Im tempted to just rip them up and tidy the edges afterwards then replace the chip boards with compressed ones ??

Thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
It may be the T&G that's holding them together. Have you tried a bolster chisel a little way down the joint in order to force the boards apart? Once they've parted a little way you'll need to lever them far enough apart to be able to lift the board.

If they are glued together, you'll have to break them apart at the end of the day.
The T&G is important to provide support on unsupported edges.

You could try a circular saw with it's depth of cut set to the thickness of the boards and cut through the t&g and either fit noggins or screw timbers to the underside of the joints when replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back