Stuck (blanking plug) on new radiator (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I bought a new flomasta radiator and all other 3 caps came out fine. The last one started turning and then just stopped.

I've tried smashing a screwdriver in and turning it but the inner has just broken away. Tried with a socket over a spanner and this has just rounded it further.

Any tips? Mole grips and heat gun?

20240402_204228.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well mole grips made it worse. Surely they aren't meant to be this tight?

Nope, usually just come out with a little persuasion like a large flat blade screwdriver. If it won’t come out, send it back.
I'll hammer a screwdriver through it tomorrow and see if it'll budge. All other 3 came out fine.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I imagine I won't do any damage to the threads? I've tried tightening and got it moving but no luck anticlockwise.

Socket slips now though

Well mole grips made it worse. Surely they aren't meant to be this tight?
If you mean vice grips then you should be able to tighten the grips on tight enough where they just won't come off, don't worry about the plastic cap. Once the grips are on that tight then it should come out and if it doesn't then it aint coming out and it needs to be returned. It is only plastic though after all.

I hammered a screwdriver in, and use a spanner on that managed to unscrew it. Threads seem fine.

If you mean vice grips then you should be able to tighten the grips on tight enough where they just won't come off, don't worry about the plastic cap. Once the grips are on that tight then it should come out and if it doesn't then it aint coming out and it needs to be returned. It is only plastic though after all.

Vice grips were on tight but the plastic just crumbled underneath. Unfortunately there wasn't much to grip onto! All sorted now, appreciate the help.

I'm used to this on cars, not new radiators

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back