Stuck drain cover, any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photos below show what I'm dealing with. The drain cover is recently wet around the joints even on a dry day - and you can see water through the keyholes. Coupled with the drain-smell in the en-suite that leads directly to this drain cover area makes me think these things are quite possibly related. However, until I can get this cover up, there's not a lot I can do. I've got the tools and there's not even a sniff of movement. Am I right in thinking the green-spot area is fixed and it's the pink-spot area that should be coming up?

Attachments

• drain1.jpg
    drain1.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 73
  • drain2.jpg
    drain2.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
I would personally use a flat bladed screwdriver or an old wood chisel to scrape out the debris. If it’s cement, then using gentle taps with a hammer should loosen it, then try the manhole keys again.

I very much dislike that style of cover, because they are so heavy when full of concrete blocks.

even if not jammed, it would be hard to lift. and the extra weight will make it hard to jar loose.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I'm going to start with the pressure washer and then onto a hammer/screwdriver. Whatever I can first try without spending money.

Reactions: CBW
Pressure washer and brute force and ignorance did nothing, I guess I'll have to hire someone / something.

These can be an absolute bitch to lift, especially after being untouched for a while. I doubt you're going to get it up without damaging anything, but try the easiest options first. Thin chisel or old screwdriver hammered down the joint between cover and frame, see if you can split the 2. If this doesn't work, then look at breaking the join between the 2 sections of slab within the cover, remove these and as much of the weight from the cover as possible, then see if it'll free off anymore.

Also, worth trying a couple of pry bars or similar under each side of the 'T' handle of the key, do one side at a time and see if you can break the joint and lift the cover slightly. By 'rocking' it each end, you might disturb it enough to get it moving.

When you do finally get it lifted, wash down all debris sitting in the frame and around the cover, then apply a liberal dose of grease around the mating faces, and hopefully any future lift will be easier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back