Drain smell in house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. We’ve started getting a drain smell in and around our lounge/staircase. For info, house is 15ish years old, 3 floor townhouse with the problem around the middle floor. There is a bathroom and en suite on floor above. I’ve tried an off the shelf drain cleaner for the shower as that is closest to the problem area but it hasn’t helped. Smell does come and go - not sure if I’m going mad but does seem to be worse when it’s windy?! Any usual suspects I can try/look at before calling the pro’s?

Sponsored Links
Windy weather would correspond with either a trap getting sucked out, or possibly an AAV thats not closing properly. Are there any sanitary appliances on the middle floor?

Thanks for the reply - None on the middle floor - bathrooms are up stairs, kitchen downstairs…those rooms don’t smell! I’ve been expecting to maybe see a stain on the ceiling or a wall somewhere but there’s nothing showing!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back