Stuck Mains Stop Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am changing my wash basin in the bathroom, but when I have gone to turn off the mains stop tap it will not turn off. It is jammed. Can anyone tell me how I can turn it off without damaging the tap.
Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Sometimes they need a little persuasion to get them moving. Try a pair of grips on the tap head. It may of course be totally jammed and you'll have to judge how much force you can safely use before giving up. There should be an external stoptap in the street but you may need a long key to turn it. Once you stop the water it would be a good idea to change the old stoptap.

Squirt a little WD40 where the stem enters the valve body. Give it ten minutes to penetrate. Take a suitable sized ring spanner that will fit over one end of the bib handle so that it is at approximately 90 degrees then GENTLY try to turn it clockwise a short distance, (a few millimetres is sufficient at this stage). Then turn it back a bit before trying clockwise again. They are hard things to break to be honest. Your biggest danger is if the pipework either side is not supported properly.
Once you have freed it off and changed your wash basin, (good idea to use flexible hoses with in line isolator valves), turn your water back on but once you have reached the fully open position turn it closed a fraction. This will not reduce the pressure but will help to prevent the likelihood of it seizing again.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your help. I gave it some gentle persuasion and little WD40 and it did the job.
Thanks again Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back