Stuck plastic cap on radiator valve, but radiator is hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a plastic cap that's stuck fast and which doesn't have a screw on the top with which I can turn it. I say it's stuck fast, but there's some movement give and take but nothing that actually alters the temperature.

It's in a room which I rarely use but I've just started to put a piece of wooden furniture in the corner and I don't want it blaring hot in there against it while the rest of the house needs heating. I'd quite like that room to remain cold, if I had to choose, but then if I could get the plastic cap off I'd be able to turn the valve with a pair of pliers and that would be fine.

I can't remove it by hand, pliers have no effect as they can't get a grip and it's a bit too tight against a wall to get a teatowel around it to help give him purchase, although I could try that again but I don't want to go too far and risk breaking it and water shooting out because I've really no idea what I'm doing. I'm thinking that wouldn't happen though, and that all I would do is reveal that valve and not be able to get the plastic cap back on, which is fine as the furniture would cover the valve and I can move that out if/when I need to turn the valve.

I'm not due to have my boiler's annual service until next April so don't really want to call them out for this if I don't have to. I've taken a picture and put it below and would welcome any input on this, thanks.

Sponsored Links
That looks like a universal fit radiator cap. The top is pushed on and held on with a gripper.

They will pull off if you really force them but ive found it easier, if not more destructive, to jam a screwdriver up under the cap and prise it off.

petit_pablo - Cheers, I'll give it a go. :D

tincup - It's the capped-off end. I remember my builder once having to drain it from that end when they had to take the radiator off to paint behind it.

Sponsored Links
Okay, I've removed the cap, which was very easy was a screwdriver, and I can see from the inside of it that it was meant to move and twist round the cog-wheel-looking things that can be seen.

I tried turning the bit at the top which I presumed is what is meant to make the radiator's heat turn up and down but to no avail - just wouldn't budge.

It must've been freed three years ago when my then-builder had to take it off the wall, so it's not like it's been stuck in place for 20 years and would need Robocop's strength to remove it. Can anyone suggest how to turn it down/off, please? Ta.

Hi

Adjustable spanner turned clockwise to close gently does it.

Thanks for that. I bought one today, as I didn't have one before, and I've turned it either 2.5 or 3 times, I forget now, and it still comes on but isn't as hot as the radiator in the next room.

Common sense would dictate that a few more turns would close it completely, but I thought I'd best ask on here first because I'm rubbish at anything to do with DIY and don't want to turn it too much and have a load of water start pouring out (I might be just paranoid about this :D )

Do you know how many times this thing should generally turn, please? Ta.

keep turning it until it stops if ya want to turn the rad off :LOL:
number of turns vary between different types of rad valve

keep turning it until it stops if ya want to turn the rad off :LOL:
number of turns vary between different types of rad valve

Forgot to say thanks for this, as I turned it until the point where it's 'off', but I haven't had to turn the heating on for the last 2 weeks so I hadn't fully tested it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back