Stuck recessed lightbulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have recessed lights and usually have had no trouble changing them - you just use the two notches (pictured in the first image) in the inner ring to turn the light and it comes out (second image). However thus time all of them but one are stuck. When I try to turn the notches the inner ring the whole docket moves and is causing the surrounding paintwork to scratch.

I've tried wd40 and it still didn't work. Does anybody know why this has happened she how can I change the lightbulb?

Sponsored Links
These quite often seize up due to the action of heat.....sometimes it's best to remove the complete unit from the ceiling ( power off) then at least you can grip it better.
They just pull through the aperture and are held by spring clips.
John :)

I thought the spring clips faced downwards which means the surrounding plasterboard could be damaged by trying to pull the complete fitting out.

Is it possible to close the clips from above the ceiling and then push the fitting down ?

You have got the bulb and holder out, maybe a bit more work and WD 40 might get the old bulb out, or resort to breaking the bulb and using pliers to move the remains.

Whatever you do make sure the Electricity is off.

I thought the spring clips faced downwards which means the surrounding plasterboard could be damaged by trying to pull the complete fitting out.
The spring clips flip back to the vertical as the lamp holder is removed so no damage should be caused by removing the fitting

Sponsored Links
The spring clip faces downward towards the ceiling removing involves partially moving the fitting down before pinching the spring back to prevent damage, fairly strong spring so watch your fingers.To replace pinch springs together and offer thru hole and release slowly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back