Stud frame on wall around bath and sink for recessed alcove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife wants tiles around bath and sink (2 walls) with a recessed shelf running the length of the bath, and, a few alcoves at the foot..

Am I right in thinking timber screwed on the wall, tile backer board fixed to timber, tank the board and affix tiles on the backer board?

She wants a floating sink unit etc so i can hide services in the cavity, build the recessed shelf etc.

That simple?

Sponsored Links
How deep does she want the niches?
You'll lose room space to create what is in effect a negative cabinet... Is useful if you're building a box to house pipes etc as you just build the whole wall out but to get them deeper you'll want to build a stud frame away from the wall, freestanding as such. You can also buy ready made niches that only need front fixing to a framed opening.

How deep does she want the niches?
Apparently, deep enough to "hold shampoo bottles". I translate this to 10cm maybe 15cm.

You can also buy ready made niches that only need front fixing to a framed opening.

That makes things easier. I guess it depends how much they cost vs making one and the hassle of tiling it internally and adding trim. Do you have any suggestions for a cheapish supplier?

So the plan is sound? Stud frame, board and tile?

Sponsored Links
Not a problem doing what you suggest. When I build stud walls for niches and services I usually use 4x2 which gives a nice depth to the niche. Have used 3x2cls in the past but sometimes they can be a bit shallow.

That backer board is fine to use, however at 10mm you want fairly close stud centres at around 300mm. I usually use 12mm jackoboard, and studs set at around 300/350mm. If you use that you only need to tank internal/ external corners and over the washers where it’s fixed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back