Tiling deep window recess - the saga of the £2,000 bath panel!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear DIYnot.

I am in the process of renovating my bathroom.

We moved into the property about 6 years ago and never really liked the suite. Champagne sanitary ware and snot green tiles!

Some months back, the bath panel broke, which in turn lead us to ripping out the entire room and starting afresh.

So the old stuff is out. ½ a wall is tiled and grouted and the new radiator installed (with associated piping cut/moved/chromed).

Floorboards have been made good, although I screwed through the pipe from the boiler header tank *DOH* - could have been worse!

I'm about ready to start moving the new sanitaryware in, but I've hit a dilemma in my tiling...

The previous owners boxed in the main window with wooden (possibly pine) boards, stained and varnished.

This is the frame I removed from the big window, currently doubling as a table/shelf!

20160326_233311.jpg

This won't look right with the new decor, and so I plan to tile the recess of the window anyway. But...

When removing this "box" I noticed the plaster on the "ceiling" of the recess was damaged.

20160326_233304.jpg

What is the best way to remedy this. I was considering fixing cement backer board with adhesive and screws?

Then there is the smaller window.

20160326_233229.jpg

This is situated in the "shower area" :eek:

Again this was boxed in, only this box had a ply back that was tiled over to make a shelf area.

The window is also boarded from the outside.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a quote to get it double glazed, but I've used my budget really. So I'm considering tiling that as well.

I was thinking - screw some ply to the window frame. Attach backer board with adhesive and screws, and then tile on top.

Suggestions?

The main window is ~115×115×20 cm and the small window ~68×34×19cm

Sponsored Links
With the larger window: hack off any blown plaster, test with knuckles and if a hollow knock - remove it. Make good with pva and bonding.
On the smaller window, if you can live without having the 'recessed niche' for shelving, it would be better to put a timber frame inside the front of the reveal, pack the cavity with insulation and then board flush with surrounding wall... Thus reducing the heat loss from the room.

With the larger window: hack off any blown plaster, test with knuckles and if a hollow knock - remove it. Make good with pva and bonding.
On the smaller window, if you can live without having the 'recessed niche' for shelving, it would be better to put a timber frame inside the front of the reveal, pack the cavity with insulation and then board flush with surrounding wall... Thus reducing the heat loss from the room.

Thanks for the reply.

I do believe it is hollow above the main window, behind the plaster.

What do you mean by bonding? I know what PVA is.

Once made good, should I frame it with anything before tiling?

With the smaller window, the wife wants to keep the recess - but the insulation is a good idea. I'll probably add a frame infront of the window, 2x1 probably, screwed into the wall rather than the window frame, and fill that with insulation. Would expanding foam be OK for this?

Then I'll board over that.

Can I screw backer board direct to the frame? Or should I give it a ply backing first?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back