Stud Partiton Wall - noggins needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1920s house and want to remove the old lath & plaster and replace it with plasterboard.

Having removed the old I find that there aren't any noggins in place.

Is it good practice to fit noggins prior to plasterboarding? I keep thinking that the laths would previously have contributed some lateral support for the studs, and that plasterboard would not offer the same amount.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can advise if I should fit noggins and out of interest if it was unusual not to use them back in the '20s?

Additionally, some of the studs are twisted which will cause the plasterboard to distort on both planes. What do you sugggest would be an acceptable out-of-level on a 12ft L x 8ft H wall do you think (I intend having them plastered after fitting)?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is considered the norm to fit noggins nowadays with stud walls because now that plasterboard has taken over from the old wooden laths you need something for the ends of the boards to fix to where before the plaster was applied directly onto the laths as you will know so that's the reason the noggins weren't always used years ago. A wall with noggins will obviously be much stronger too so it is always best to fit them nowadays. Regarding the wall being out of plumb, you will find that unless it is exceptionally badly distorted you will be able to take out the discrepancies with the plastering by using a long straight edge and employing a good plasterer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back