Stud wall estimate of cost and/or how easy to DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I require a stud wall building, not a big one, but I'm still very unsure of the likely cost.

Any idea how much would (presumably a joiner) charge for building a 2.6wide x 2.4 high stud wall, with a door frame to go in it? All boarding/plastering will be done by a separate plasterer who I'll be getting to re-skim some rooms anyway. So it's just for the woodwork... (Any estimates based on the East Midlands... not the South! ;p)

I guess a second question would be, how easy would it be to do this myself? And how much ££ of materials might be required?

I've read in one of two places that it'd be pretty easy to do myself even as a DIY novice, with basic tools. Just worried about getting it all perfectly in line.

Thanks for any advice,
David

PS. Would it be just as cheap to get it built in breeze block?

Sponsored Links
If you can use a spirit level, saw, tape measure & screw driver it really isn’t that difficult, he’s a guide to give you confidence;

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/partition_wall.htm

Use 4” x 2” timber & screws not nails; cost of materials includig the boards should only be around £100; you will triple that at least if you get someone in to build it. Only thing you have to watch is Building Regs. if the wall is between a room with a w/c & another habitable room where it must meet minimum sound insulation but it's notifyable work in such a case anyway; makes it a little more expensive but difference wont be that much.

Cost of materials won’t be much different using blocks but labour will be & it’s more of a tricky DIY option.

Skim plastering both sides should cost between £100 - £150 excluding materials but may go to £200 if the plasterer charges you for a full day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back