stud wall fire requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 3rd (top floor) flat in a victorian end of terrace. My home entrance door is on the 2nd floor (ground floor being #1) . This door leads onto stairs which go up to the rest of my home. There is a partition wall between these stairs and the commonway on this 2nd floor. I want to remove the drywall skin on my side of the partition as it goes up the stairs and fit cubby holes for shoes. If the commonway side of the wall is double-skinned does that count as adequate fire protection bearing in mind that I will have removed my side of the partition skin and fitted custom drywall or similar boxes in the void between the studs to act as storage. Thanks for any opinion on this.

Sponsored Links
Check your lease. You may not have a right to modify the fabric in this way.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will certainly look at the lease but as a part owner of the freehold I may be able to adjust my lease to allow for this. At present I am more concerned with whether this would be a fire safety issue and thus also problematic for the building insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back