Stud Wall - Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an single storey extension, with a flat roof.
It has two rooms, and a stud wall inbetween them.

I want to remove the wall, but I am unsure if it is supporting the roof ??

Is it likely to be, and if it is, what do I do ??

Sponsored Links
If its purely a wooden frame with plaster board screwed on then its a stud wall (unless the frame is very thick, then whoever made the thing may have hoped the wall would support). :)

Sponsored Links
find out which way the flat roof joists span and the size of them

if the flat roof joists span parallel to the wall and not onto it then what could it be supporting?

if they do span onto the wall are they continuous over the wall or do they meet/overlap?

if so check the span and the size of joists to see if they are large enough to span the long distance or if they only span far enough onto the wall in question

also is it just a flat roof above or is it for use in the summer as a deck or fire escape etc? if so the flat roof joists would need to be larger than those for a flat roof

Cool, cheers.

Is there a table/figures that I can look at to see if the joists are big enough for the span etc.

The roof is purely a roof. Not for an escape or anything.

The wall in question seems pretty flimsy, but I will take the p/board off to see.

I will get back to you on that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the way, what if the joists run the way I don't want, and do use the stud wall as a support ??

Is it a case of using acro's to support, and then pillars each end with a steel on ??

please note 10a which is here

Apologies !! :oops:

Getting back to the topic, is there a table ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back