Stud wall help! Beginner...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm new to this site an have a project about to start.

In my house we have a loft space running the length of the house, to access this their is a door off my daughters box room.

Why on earth they designed it like this I don't know 1950's house!

Anyway I plan to turn this I town extension of her room making it an L shaped room.

To do this I need to insulate the sloping roof an plasterboard it but also I have a brick wall (that backs onto the upstairs landing) I need to plasterboard.

I feel a stud wall would be best but what I want to know is what size wood do I use, I was looking at 63mm x 38mm but with this being a fals wall backing onto brick could I get away with smaller?

Also would it be ok to fix the plasterboard for the sloping roof straight onto the beams that are there (along with insulation between) or will I have to stud this too?

I already have a little stud wall where the door to the loft space is, how would I go about knocking this down an most importantly making sure it all joins flush with the old wall (her room)?

Complete novice at this but I was a plastering An managed that ok for the kitchen.

All answers and help welcome.

Sponsored Links
Remember seeing some houses line this when I was younger.

Why not just plaster/dryline the wall, you don't need to add another, especially as this will be the full height wall and you don't want to lose any nore space there than necessary.

I would but my plaster work isnt brilliant, it's ok for under files or. Shins work tops but I can't get a smooth enough finish for a wall thats going to be painted/papered.

I did consider just painting it but as its an inside wall in an attic space they haven't given it a nice finish an the cement is a bit messy.

My husband suggested just screwing the plasterboard directly to the wall but I've read that's not a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Platerboard can be fixed directly to the masonry using dry walll adhesive. Simple to mix simple to use and sticks like nowt else.

Any raked ceilings will require insulation acrosss the rafters as well as between. this is to avoid cold spot shadowing.

A typical cross section would veiw as; roof tiles, rof tile battens, membrane, 50mm air gap, 70mm (celotex or similar) insulation between rafters, 50mm across rafters, vcl, plasterboard and skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back