Stud Wall: Adding Studs and Replacing Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the next few weeks I am going to start a project in the living room to turn my living room TV area into a floating wall with the TV mounted to it.

It is an external wall 10ft x 7.5ft and just plasterboard on the inside but brick on the outside, so I obviously need to mount everything to the studs (I know there are studs and it is not attached straight to brick work as I have looked behind wall socket).

What I plan to do is remove the current plasterboard so I can wire in some wall lights and add an extra wall outlet. I then want to fit new insulated plasterboard and whilst I am at it add in some extra studs to support the TV/floating wall.

With this being an external wall are there any potential problems to be aware of ?

I bought this house 12 months ago and I have never fitted plasterboard in my life so just don't want to make any stupid and obvious mistakes.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Make sure you know where the fixing holes for the tv are going to end up, and make sure there is some timber behind this to fix to.

If you are using insulated plasterboard then you won't need a vapour barrier, but make sure the boards are tightly fitted with no gaps, a can of expanding foam may come in handy here.

Is there no insulation in the wall at the moment? You should probably come back here with some pics once you've removed the existing plasterboard, although this isn't usually necessary just to add a socket and thread some cables.

Thanks for the reply.

I would imagine there is some insulation behind the plasterboard as I would of thought the room would be quite cold without, just thought I would use insulated plasterboard help keep it that bit warmer.

I will be measuring the exact position the TV will be going and making sure I add enough timber to support it fully ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back