Stud Wall Noise Insultation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm puutting up a stud wall and would like to add some insulation to reduce noise.

Timber im using is 89mm from Wickes.

What should i be looking at for insulation?

100mm slabs wont fit. 50mm slabs too thin.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Never seen that before, and there is no real info on it, so sorry, can't comment. I tend to use 10mm rockwool and find it works quite well.

Edit, sorry 100mm rockwool

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound insulation is denser than the normal stuff but if you just wanna shove any old crap in that's available from a shed then I'm wasting my time and effort.

Thanks all. Ordered up 100mm Earthwool acoustic roll on eBay for £42 for 11sqm.

Are you using this?
http://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/...ource=google&gclid=COiA_4exmNQCFcy77QodQyIM7w

(Wickes plasterboard is almost double the price of some suppliers.)
Not decided on sound resistant plasterboard or just normally plasterboard. Any experience of sound resistant board? Will be 12.5mm either way.

Doesnt need to be Wickes. B&Q or Jewsons look cheapest for standard plasterboard and timber, delivered.

6 sheets of tapered 12.5mm plasterboard (1200 x 2400)
12 lengths of 89x38x2400 CLS
£102 delivered from Jewsons

6 sheets of tapered 12.5mm plasterboard (1200 x 2400)
12 lengths of 89x38x2400 CLS

That doesn't sound like enough timber to me; it's enough for the verticals but you also need noggins and top/bottom plates.

I think building regs need 15mm normal plasterboard both sides and at least 25mm of insulation, to meet the acoustic standards.

Edit - or maybe that's only if you're using 68mm studwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back