Stud walls and DPC, how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to do a part conversion on my detached garage, to give me a workroom and storage area. I am going to build stud walls to add some insulation. As these will touch external walls I understand that I need to put a DPC in between any wood that will touch brickwork?

My question is, how do I attach the DPC? To the brickwork or to the wood, and what with?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Tack it to the back of the timber- a few staples, clout nails, even sellotape or pvc tape round the timber and dpc will work. Once you've screwed/spiked the timber to the wall you can remove the tape, friction will keep dpc where it is

I am about to do a part conversion on my detached garage, to give me a workroom and storage area. I am going to build stud walls to add some insulation. As these will touch external walls I understand that I need to put a DPC in between any wood that will touch brickwork?

My question is, how do I attach the DPC? To the brickwork or to the wood, and what with?

Thanks for your help.

you could clad the entire wall with celetex board with no gaps, tape the joints. Continuous insulation has no thermal bridging.

Then screw on battens flat which holds the celetex in place and makes something for plasterboard to be fixed to. It also creates a service void for electrics.

If doing a conversion, you would not just want a narrow strip of DPC where the stud wall is going, but you would need to line the whole wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back