Stud work - over the floor boarding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen suggestions that the sole plate of stud work on a first floor is either (a) set out and fixed after the floor boarding is down (in my case 22mm board) or (b) before the boarding is down ie onto the joists.

I can see how (a) makes it easier work (assuming you remember where the significant joists are), but I keep thinking that, say, the bathroom floods or those little tinkle smells become too much round the loo, then you'd have the devil of a job removing floor boarding to replace it ie (b) makes more sense?

What's the best approach please?

Sponsored Links
(b) would be the easiest if you can but the most common problem are the T&G flooring which have to be cut & can be damage anyway, so we just put in extra noggins as and when.

sorry Masona - don't quite understand that last bit about the T&G; does that relate to the difficulty of getting it up once in place; why the extra noggins?

When you cut out the damaged flooring, you just cut it out where it's needed, pointless taking the whole sheeting or length of wood so you fit noggins underneath to support the new flooring if the edge is not on the centre of the joists

Sponsored Links
Jimmy_shy said:
I've seen suggestions that the sole plate of stud work on a first floor is either (a) set out and fixed after the floor boarding is down (in my case 22mm board)
What's the best approach please?
would that be 22mm CHIP board :?: if so you should`ve used ring shank nails and nothing will be able to lift it ;) .....either way it`s the Devil`s flooring :mad:

Jimmy_shy said:
I haven't yet laid any, Nige - problem with 22mm chip board?
You either love them or hate them, well known for floor cracking noise, make sure all the T&G is glued and put in extra joists/noggins if more than 400mm centre

masona said:
Jimmy_shy said:
I haven't yet laid any, Nige - problem with 22mm chip board?
You either love them or hate them, well known for floor cracking noise, make sure all the t&g is glued and put in extra joists/noggins if more than 400mm centre

Hi new to the forum just a quickie im thinking of putting a floating floor over my concrete slab 22mm t and g on top of my insulation with battens at edges and at door ways putting stud work on top of battens fitted to slab, huh does this make sense or sound ok........

Cheers

Mini1961

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back