Stupid 1gang 2way switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know how idiotic this must sound to everyone here, but I just got a new cover plate for a broken light switch and while the existing one is 1gang, 1 way the new one has a L1 L2 and com connectors.
Dumb as it sounds, if i've got a live wire and a neutral wire comin out of the wall (and the earth secured to the mounting plate), which 2 of the three connections do i use? :mad:
1st flat and totally clueless about this stuff as you can probably tell!
Also, we've got something on the lighting circuit that keeps blowing the fuse-wire (old style box) whenever we replace it - is there an easy way to isolate whats causing that or is that a 'call an electrician' situation.

Sponsored Links
Its live and switched live, not live and neutral

put red (live)in com, and black(switched live) in L1, it doesn't really matter which way round they go (i.e. you could swap them over without problems), its just normal to have it that way

thanks mate - I'll get that done as soon as I can find out what's shorting out my lighting!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back