Stupid mistake leads to leaking bath overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a bath over Christmas and it seems I made the schoolboy error of forgetting to put sealant on the overflow where it connects to the bath. The rubber washer is pressed up against the fibreglass so it doesn't stand a chance of making a proper seal.

It wouldn't be so bad but I've finished installing the bath and I suspect it would be a challenge to get the bath back out (odd shaped room, built in cupboards trapping the bath, etc). Of course the bath has side mounted taps and overflow and they are against the wall so if I disconnect the overflow I would seriously struggle to get it back in.

I'm really hoping someone has a quick and easy solution for me as I'm not looking forward to tearing everything out again. This will, however, teach me not to forget sealant.

While writing this post I've come up with one possible solution. I could cut a hole in the wall from the back and get at the overflow that way. It's probably easier to repair the wall than basically refit half the bathroom.

IMG_20180113_160229.jpg

Sponsored Links
Any chance you can use string to hold the back part whilst you remove the front plate?
May be a dumb idea, just thinking outside the box.

1. If the brass bit has a threaded hole in the middle, get a long screw of the same thread and use that to stop the back part disappearing.
2. If the brass bit has no thread get a bit of round wood and drill a hole in it the same diameter as the brass (or slightly less), and about half the depth of the protruding brass bit. Superglue it to the brass bit and use that to stop the back bit disappearing.
3. Loosen the chrome bit and force silicone sealant between the rubber washer and the bath.
4. Tighten the chrome bit up again, but only finger tight less 1/4 turn.
5. Leave the silicone to set, try and give it a couple of days.
6. Tighten the chrome bit up completely.
7. Cut the wood off and scrape the remnants of the brass.

If you don't feel 2 is feasible, see if you can get someone to drill a bit of brass rod the diameter of your brass bit and cross drill and thread for a grub screw.

Good thinking both. I think I can probably get a piece of string around the brass bit. Can't say I'm looking forward to the job but it's got to be better that the alternatives.

Sponsored Links
Another idea - from the other room, having measured where the overflow comes - drill a hole and use a metal rod through the wall to press the overflow against the bath - 2 people needed.

If those are inexpensive Chinky taps, you may as well fit an access panel in the other room. You will need access again to replace them.

The other half wanted me to fit our new bath with everything against the wall like this. Point blank refused.

I'll never put taps next to wall again,the number of people who do this what a crap place for taps and then the moan when they get the bill and ask why does the bath have to come out were only changing taps I reply I aint an octopus.

I`ve seen tiny en-suite`s with macerators installed where I swear the plasterboard wall separating the en-suite from the bedroom must of been the last piece put up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back