Stupid Mistake with 40mm PVc Waste Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just done something really stupid.

I was working in a tight situation with virtually no 40mm PVC pipe left sticking out of the wall to bond to. I cannot get at the pipe at the other side of the wall without taking the bath out! I was extra careful because of this and took great care over the joints.

However, after completing the work and the pipes are now welded, I suddenly remembered I had pushed a plastic carrier bag into the pipe to stop the drain smell while I worked.

It was a long run of pipe so I drilled a neat 3/8 inch hole into the 90 deg bend at the centre of the bend and was able to pull the bag out. Now I have a 3/8 hole in the bend. Can I convert this to something like an inspection point or is there anyway I can seal the hole.

There is no 40mm pipe left to attach to if i simply cut off the 90 degree bend?

Sponsored Links
The end of the bend is virtually hard up against the wall and in an awkward position to get to, as it is also right down in the corner at floor level and up against a stud.

I was really stupid, but I panicked. I should just have cut the long pipe run quite close to the elbow then fished around the bend with a wire then used a coupler to join the long pipe back up again.

Is there any way that a 90 degree bend can have an inspection point added on the bend. I have drilled a neat 3/8 hole but it could be enlarged for some sort of screw in cap or plug?

Are there any situations where bends are modified like this?

Sponsored Links
you could attempt to
a. cut a section of a similar fitting with a similar radius/profile and attempt to patch over the top. Polypipe's gap filling cement may be useful.
b. several brands of waterproof tapes are available. :cry:
c. manufacture some form of patch-large hose jubilee, rubber washer etc
d. very carefully cut, chisel and file the old fitting off and reglue a new fitting.

Don't screw anything into the fitting that will sit inside the pipework. You will just be giving debris, hair etc somewhere to accumulate

rojaca’s sort of got it; if it's a solvent weld fitting just get another solvent weld fitting (or whatever) & cut a piece of suitable curved plastic (from the same place but twice the size) & stick it over the hole so it overlaps by at least 5mm all around; clamp tightly till it's set. !!)mm solvent saddles will seal even without the clamp so I’m pretty damn sure it’ll work on a 10mm dia hole; may not look too nice though :LOL:

Thanks for all your help.

I could not live with the thought of a possible leak going on inside the wall after a patch, ( I am a worrier) so I dug into the wall and just managed to clean the end of the pipe for 2.5cms and get another 90 deg bend on.

I took great care over the joint again so I hope that the weld is good, otherwise the bath has to come out.

I am really annoyed with myself as I had done such a good clean job the first time. It took me hours to put it all right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back