Stupid Signs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I'll buy shares in a sign makers. I've been listening to a news article about how the compensation culture is being exacerbated by a perception of danger/risk that is being created by the media etc.

To illustrate the point I've just been in a fairly remote part of Cornwall and went past a graveyard sent in the middle of an open area of countryside. The latest set of signs that have gone up include:- Slippery Slopes (it's on a slope), Uneven Ground (it's uneven) and the best one of all Danger - Rabbit Holes (rabbits live there). On the A35 near where I live there are signs saying "Area Prone To Fog" (which you can't see when it's foggy). There are other electronic signs further on with additional signs attached to them saying "This Sign Does Not Work".

There seems to have been a plethora of new road signs springing up recently with new warnings of hidden dips, bends and goodness only knows what - how did we ever survive without them?

What the hell is the matter with this society? Why do we have to put up signs stating the bl**ding obvious?

Anecdote: A mate of mine once had an accident up in Scotland. His car was only saved from going over the edge of a long drop by hitting a sign. The sign said Slow - Dangerous Bend! He never lived it down - but he did live.

Sponsored Links
Part-time traffic lights: we have them round here, there is no sign on them warning you they are part-time, or what times they are on.

It is a minor point, but I would like to know.

The stupidest sign I have ever seen was an official Police sign on Edgeware Road in London. It said "Metropolitan Police" at the top, everything after that was in Arabic. Now, I appreciate that in certain areas there is an advantage to having dual-language signs. Edgeware Road is one such area. However, to me and the other 50% of people walking up and down the street who CAN'T read Arabic (which is still a "foreign" language in the UK), the sign wasn't much use, not to mention discriminatory. It's not even like you could gain some understanding like you might with a European language. I have absolutely NO comprehension of Arabic writing!

I have probably read English-only signs abroad and never thought twice about it, but it is only fair that they should have their native tongue on their own signs too!

And taking that point a little further why are are all these hygenic food plants so full of nut waste? Why can't they clean it all up so we can have nut free food. More to the point they are only telling us about traces of nuts to satisfy those of us unfortunate enough to be allergic to them but what AREN'T they telling us? May contain traces of salmonella, staphylococcus (however that may be spelt), gluten? The list goes on.

Sponsored Links
I think that suddenly no one knows where the line should be drawn in that massive grey area between sense and nonsense.
It used to be only the rich who could afford their 'rights', now it is everyone - almost - If there is money in it for the 'trough snouters'. So the law is now being exposed as being more than a little ridiculous ... the danger comes when the 'messers' start deciding who is due what and when ... May be too late to complain then !!

P

I think I read in the Sunday Times that they are trialing a new road system where there are no signs, road markings, traffic lights, pavements etc.
It's been used in some places in Europe and apparently reduce the number of accidents. It' supposed to make you concentrate more and have more awareness of your surroundings rather than just be automatons going from one red light to the next.
All for it me, if it works but I can't see it happening at Hyde Park Corner!

waran said:
It's been used in some places in Europe and apparently reduce the number of accidents.

I think I can explain this.

What do lane markings mean? To you they indicate the edge of a lane. To me they indicate the edge of a lane. To yet undiscovered tribes in the Amazon rainforest they indicate the edge of a lane. But to your average continental driver, they are for guidance only. No, forget that. They are a challenge. A 3-lane motorway in Italy accommodates 5 cars. That doesn't include any that are on the hardshoulder waiting to try and join.

What about street signs? Well, they have got better in the last couple of years (notably since they started to adopt English-style reflective signs and numberplates) but anyone who drove in France a few years ago will remember street signs that point in any direction other than the one they should.

So, the reason this scheme reduces accidents on the continent is because it will stop English drivers from assuming that those around them can drive. I won't drive my own car on the continent for the very reason that I honestly believe I will end up being sideswiped by a Frenchman who was assuming I would get out of his way. I wonder how many English drivers each year get their cars knacked because they were driving properly?

I am hearing impaired and buying a DVD with subtitles can be difficult -- some may clearly say "English subtiitles for Hearing Impaired", "English Subtitles", "Subtitles available" (English not available), etc.

There is not one standard sign symbol for this facility. <sigh>

There should be a set of standard sign symbols -- one for Subtitles on movie only, one for Subtitles available for movie and bonus DVD, etc.

I recently saw, on a new van for sale in a garage, just forward of the drivers position, on the wing
"IN CASE OF EMERGENCY -TURN OFF AT IGNITION"

nad said:
There is not one standard sign symbol for this facility. <sigh>

Cos they spent so much time and effort trying to ensure we couldn't buy films on DVD from America before we paid to see them in the cinema first.

That worked! :LOL:

On B&Q how to hang a door pamphlet in the small print it says also available in Braile upon request..... I allways said chippying is a job you can do with your eyes closed :LOL:

On B&Q how to hang a door pamphlet in the small print it says also available in Braile upon request
Do B&Q sell tape braile tape measures? Surely they must be available, but I've never seen (or rather felt) one.

Santa Fe airport has braille signs for everything... even for the car hire desk!!

Nah .. you looking at wrong side of sign !! After the pump action 12 gauge bin used on reverse !! ;)

MattBeard said:
Santa Fe airport has braille signs for everything... even for the car hire desk!!

Maybe it has something written on it like "If you can read this then you probably can't hire a car", or maybe something more entertaining to read whilst the driver books the car out. :D

Does anyone know the answer to this one:

I was in the bank the other day, the lady in front of me was blind and her guide dog was lying down on the floor looking very cute. Usually when I see a dog I like to pet it, but being a working dog I wasn't sure so left it alone. I was concerned that the dog might get excited and snap out of "work mode" for a while, thus being inconvenient or even dangerous for the lady. Didn't want to ask in case she said "Yes, go ahead" purely out of politeness. Are there any negative effects caused by stroking guide dogs? :?:

Sponsored Links
Back