Stupid Signs

IanDB said:
There seems to have been a plethora of new road signs springing up recently with new warnings of hidden dips, bends and goodness only knows what - how did we ever survive without them?

What the hell is the matter with this society? Why do we have to put up signs stating the bl**ding obvious?
To be fair, councils are merely having to comply to the Signage Regs(Under the Health and Safety Act) which were introduced recently.

Sponsored Links
On the subject of dogs and signs, when I was doing a course on civil law, we were advised that, in the event that your dog bites someone, in your defence you could plead that you had no way of knowing that your dog was dangerous. If however, you have a "beware of the dog" sign on your gate, this is regarded as an acknowledgment, that you know it is dangerous. Since you know it is dangerous, you have a duty to ensure that it cannot bite anybody. Since it has now bitten someone, you will almost undoubtedly be found negligent.

If you have a dog, you are therefore advised, NOT to display a "beware of the dog" sign. In the event that it comes to court you can claim that you didn't believe it to be dangerous, (therefore you are not negligent). :eek:

TexMex said:
On the subject of dogs and signs, when I was doing a course on civil law, we were advised that, in the event that your dog bites someone, in your defence you could plead that you had no way of knowing that your dog was dangerous. If however, you have a "beware of the dog" sign on your gate, this is regarded as an acknowledgment, that you know it is dangerous. Since you know it is dangerous, you have a duty to ensure that it cannot bite anybody. Since it has now bitten someone, you will almost undoubtedly be found negligent.

If you have a dog, you are therefore advised, NOT to display a "beware of the dog" sign. In the event that it comes to court you can claim that you didn't believe it to be dangerous, (therefore you are not negligent). :eek:
I wonder if the whole thing takes on a different slant if you word it 'Be aware of the dog' As in 'be aware you do not step on my poor doggy' .. Just thought, put that final part in print the same size as the Bank uses to skin us with the small print waivers etc ... different thing altogether I think .. but then I aint squatting on a cushion wearing a dafty wig slapping people who aren't funny handshakers or brassic morons !!

In fact now I am thinking small print at the foot of the warning notice mmmm ... nah, not getting a pooch just to test that theory !
P

Sponsored Links
Remember the ones around certain cities delaring a "nuclear free zone" I was always curious how a missile would read them.

david and julie said:
Remember the ones around certain cities delaring a "nuclear free zone" I was always curious how a missile would read them.

Perhaps they would have the same devices that allow cigarette smoke to know they can't go in the non-smoking areas ;)

I've always liked those "Please drive carefully through our village" signs, you occasionally see one that is worded more like "Oi, t*ssface! Drive carefully through our village, or we'll cut yer t*ts off!".

Has anyone seen those active signs that actually display your speed, rather than just "SLOW DOWN"? They have had to remove them because instead of shaming drivers into slowing down, it turned into a bit of a competition in some areas. :LOL:

Another one that brings a smile to my face is, "Keep Clear, baby on board". Like.. Should the rest of us have signs saying:
"You can hit me up the ar$e if you like, cos I've got no kids!" :)

Pensioner gets hospitalised due to brutality during burglary.
Police statement, "This was a particularly vicious attack considering the person's age"
Surely the first thought is --- any flippin' age -- or is it less vicious if the victim is younger ? To much official talk from people who should be doing other stuff -- Like catching the crims !!

Road signs to brutality ... diversification ;)
P

AdamW said:
Has anyone seen those active signs that actually display your speed, rather than just "SLOW DOWN"?

Similar to the sign I used to see near Denham, if you got too close to the vehicle in front the sign came on saying "TOO CLOSE", so what did everybody try to do?

I was just wondering. Those scrolling LED displays you get in shop windows. Would it be legal to display one in the rear screen. It could be handy to have a few preset messages, such as "Either overtake or turn your 'king indicator off" or, "If you don't dip your beam, I'll do an emergency stop in 5 seconds..4..3..2..". even the standard ones such as "On tow" or "Running in please pass". But would it be legal?

TexMex said:
I was just wondering. Those scrolling LED displays you get in shop windows. Would it be legal to display one in the rear screen.
That got me thinking, there was a American film I remembered when I was a kid, it has the LED displays on the rear of the car when the police was chasing him and when speaking on the microphone the message come up as you speak "If you can read this then you're too close" :!: Can anyone remember it ? It was a light comedy villian film.

no it wouldnt be legal under the construction and use regulations of the road traffic act

TexMex said:
I was just wondering. Those scrolling LED displays you get in shop windows. Would it be legal to display one in the rear screen. It could be handy to have a few preset messages, such as "Either overtake or turn your 'king indicator off" or, "If you don't dip your beam, I'll do an emergency stop in 5 seconds..4..3..2..". even the standard ones such as "On tow" or "Running in please pass". But would it be legal?
Sorry mate, shot and foot comes to mind !! tis a threat ! and some smart arsed lawyer would convince a jury that either you had no idea what message was being displayed or that your attention was off the road and on the message generator ... Get yourself a combined harvester and two fingers to everyone !!
P

TexMex said:
Another one that brings a smile to my face is, "Keep Clear, baby on board". Like.. Should the rest of us have signs saying:
"You can hit me up the ar$e if you like, cos I've got no kids!" :)

A few weeks ago I had some stupid b*tch cut me up on a roundabout by turning right from the turn-left lane. When she got past me I saw she had one of those "Child on board" signs, and could see a 5 year old girl in the backseat standing up with her face against the window and obviously not wearing a seatbelt. :eek:

Then at the next roundabout she pulled across a load of people and turned left from the right-turn only lane, resulting in several pairs of parallel black lines on the roundabout! I wonder if she ever stops to think "Why do people seem to use their horns so much when I am driving?" :eek: :LOL:

It was possibly the worst driving I have ever seen, but at the end of the day she had a "Child on board" label so obviously she is allowed to drive like that...

Sponsored Links
Back