Sub base for kitchen extension patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a side return kitchen extension.
The building Inspector has passed the work done so far, up to dpc.
I need to build up a raised patio area up to 40 cms 5m x 3m to finished level surrounded with a single brick wall. What I have read is that to back fill extra soil from elsewhere in the garden is not a good idea as it will sink, I have also read that Type 1 filling should be no more than 20 cms. I have a bit of rubble not much really and some pea single and ballast. I intend to finish the patio off with some kind of porcelain tiles.
What could I use as a sub-base before I put in the Type 1 filling. I will be hiring a Wacker Plate to compact layers as I go along. Some advice on order of layers would be helpful too.

Thank you very much for any advice.

Please see the photos below which includes shallow trench for single leaf patio surrounding wall.

20230711_142825.jpg

Sponsored Links
A visit here would tell you all you need to know :

Scroll down to the bottom with the green banner and under "Installation Topics" there are sections for Ground Preparations etc etc...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back