sub floor... T&G chip or ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Absolutely no contest WBP ply; 18mm is the minimum & you may need to up that with heavy tiles & depending on how rigid the floor is. Use only high quality trade flexible adhesive & grout.

ok thanks for your thoughts richard.

i've chosen the thinnest flag i can get to keep weight down

using a Keraquick adhesive - recommended to me :)

Absolutely no contest WBP ply; 18mm is the minimum & you may need to up that with heavy tiles & depending on how rigid the floor is. Use only high quality trade flexible adhesive & grout.
On the contrary Richard, the thicker the tiles, the less trouble you have with the substrate. If the OP is using thin tiles, they want to be going for 25mm WBP ply. Whenever replacing boards, I always recommend 25mm WBP ply anyway. No problems with that.

Sponsored Links
On the contrary Richard, the thicker the tiles, the less trouble you have with the substrate. If the OP is using thin tiles, they want to be going for 25mm WBP ply. Whenever replacing boards, I always recommend 25mm WBP ply anyway. No problems with that.

25mm !!!! that sounds crazy, you'd need to build stairs to get into the room by the time yo've added tile & adhesive height to that! ;)

I don’t have your level of practical experience but I can’t follow that. :confused: From an engineering viewpoint, heavier tiles increase the distributed load, the greater load will increase the bending moment on the joists in the centre of the span; thicker, well fixed plywood will increase the “I” value, reduce the bending moment & therefore the amount of flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back