Ply overlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to overlay 18mm (good condition) chipboard with 12mm WBP Ply prior to floor tiling bathroom.
The area to cover is 9ft x 5ft so too big for a single sheet.
Am I best to use one full 8 x 4 sheet with 2 strips around it on the least used edges or 3 equal sized pieces?
As it is an overlay, I guess that the joist positions are not relevant.

Sponsored Links
Securely screwed down it should not matter, though I would lay 8x4 and finish '2 x bits' against walls

Sponsored Links
Personally I would take the "crapboard" up & lay 18mm min WBP but if you stick with the overlay, IT IS very important you fix through into the joists & don’t just rely on screwing into the "crapboard" or it may well curl & ruin your tiles; we’ve had an instance of this on here just recently. Any joins in the WBP should be over a joist or additional noggins, regardless if your overboarding & use only a quality trade, flexible adhesive & grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back