Sub Flooring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have 3 lots of 1000mm(L) X 700mm(W)9mm(D) exteria ply which i have screwed into the floor boards in 3 different corners of the dining room. I have done this so I can place my fridge freezer, washing machine & dryer on. I Have left an expansion gap of 6mm between the ply & skirts.

I Have then installed vinyl tiles on top of the ply peices and the rest of the room will have laminate flooring installed. As mentioned they are going to have fridge freezer, washing machine & dryer on top. All of these item could one day develop a leak bearing that in mind I have a few questions.

1. Should I have a expansion gap between the skirts & ply i installed?

2. There will be scotias going around the whole room once laminate is installed which will cover the expantion gaps on the laminate and on the ply. However Should I seal the expansion gap around the ply with silicone? Therefore making them areas watertight. I do not want water seeping under the scotia. I will NOT be siliconing the expansion gap around the laminate and skirt just the ply
& skirts i will seal.

3. If I Did seal was there anypoint in leaving an expansion gap around the ply.

Below is a pic of one of the plied areas to give a better understanding

Thanks for your time and information is welcome

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back