Sub hearth damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Im knee deep in a renovation job so far and planning on moving in by about 6 weeks time! I can't decide on what the best way forward would be to deal with this damp sub hearth.

Ive removed an old formed concrete / tiled fireplace from the living room downstairs. Under it is the sub-hearth that is basically just a pile of rubble held together with concrete, which is very damp. The timbers that protrude into the sub hearth on either side are looking a bit rotten too. On the outside of the house there is a concrete path which has cracked all the way along the side of the house. Its only 1cm or so at its widest, but im expecting this to be the source of the damp.

Anyway, should I dig out the entire sub-hearth, replace the timber parts that are rotting and build a new structure underneath. I would then also dig a trench along the concrete path next to the house and maybe fill it with shingle to aid drainage and then cover that with concrete again?
Or should i just deal the the path cracking outside and leave the sub hearth alone keeping my fingers crossed?

I have a few ideas, but dont want to start on anything until im sure I wont be doing it again anytime soon!

Thanks,
Tom.

Sponsored Links
Cover overs and finger crossing are for the foolish, dealing with a problem before you is the sensible thing to do.

You say the moisture penetration is most likely coming from the cracked path, hmm!, but to be sure, why don't dig out the affected sub base, leave it open for now and observe, If correct it will soak with moisture, and you will have found the problem with minimum effort and can proceed to the repairs.
On the other hand if that's not it something else will show it's self to you and you can take it from there...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back