Sub-mains and more

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following discussions in a recent thread, I have been contemplating the extent to which the totality of my electrical installation is compliant/non-compliant with the current wiring regulations, and, in the case of things which are non-compliant, how crucial/important it may be to consider having them brought into alignment with current regs. This first couple of questions are fairly 'strategic' ones.....

I have (inherited) an installation with a number of sub-mains each served by a 60A switch-fuse (rewireable fuses), currently wired in 16mm² double-insulated singles (surface clipped, not grouped). Taking into account the 0.725 fusing factor correction due to protection being by a rewireable fuse, Iz of the cable is (just) greater than 60A, so ought to be OK in relation to Iz>In.

The potential problem relates to design current (i.e. a problem relating to In>Ib, rather than Iz>In). The circuits connected to some of the CUs supplied by the sub-mains theoretically have maximum current demands in excess of 60A, if one uses guideline diversity figures – so, although Iz >In, In would not be greater than Ib if one used that basis of calculation. However, the actual (rather than guideline) diversity for the situation concerned is such that the demand on each and every the sub-mains is, in practice, virtually always considerably less than 60A. However, it’s obviously difficult (impossible?) to ‘prove’ that assertion, and the fact that none of the 60A fuses have blown in many years of use merely means that there have not be sustained currents greater than about 120A. I suppose I’m therefore really asking whether (in order to satisfy In>Ib), it could be acceptable to work on the basis of a design current less than that which would result from application of diversity guidelines - although I recognise that such would not be an ideal situation, even if permissible. Changing to fuses of higher rating (in order to accommodate design current using guideline diversity) would obvioulsy not be an option with the current cable sizing. For completeness I should add that it’s a TT installation and that all of the sub-mains are themselves protected by 100mA S Type RCDs.

As a subsidiary question (which becomes much more important if the answer to the above is unfavourable), the switch-fuses are massive old MEM ones, albeit in good condition, and occupy half of a wall (which space I could make much better use of!). Would replacing these with, say, 63A double pole MCBs in suitable (small!) enclosures be a compliant option? More to the point, what about 80A Type B MCBs (assuming I could source them)? By virtue of the different fusing factor correction, the cable Iz should still just about be OK in relation to In, and we would then probably also have In>Ib using guideline diversity, thereby effectively eliminating the issue mentioned in the previous paragraph. If this were a viable approach, it would presumably be a good/safe idea (and easier to wire) to use double pole MCBs, whether or not that was required? - although the present switch-fuses are necessarily only single-pole in their overload disconnection, since neutral fuses are obviously positively dangerous.

A related question concerns the associated earthing. As`I said, it’s a TT system. The earthing conductor (replaced a while ago) from earth electrode to the MET and the one directly-connected CU (the one closest to meter) is 16mm². The inherited earth cables which accompany the sub-mains (which I presume also count as earthing conductors) are currently 10mm². As far as I can make out, this seems to be within the (surprising modest) requirements for TT systems. It might even do if our earthing system got upgraded to TN-C, although I don’t see that happening any time soon. The sub-mains (hence earthing conductors) are relatively short, since the CUs are all roughly in a vertical line, on different floors. Am I right in believing that what I have described is probably compliant, at least whilst the system remains TT?

Thanks for your assistance. Some more questions will undoubtedly follow.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As there has been no problem as far as you know then the original designer obviously did an ok job. I would not worry too much about it although the fitting of 63A MCBs will give you improved overload protection of the cables.
But double sheathed 16mm² ccc is 87A clipped direct, so there is no problem even with 60A 3036s.
The 10mm² sub-main earths will also be big enough for any main bonding in a TNC-S system depending on the incoming neutral csa (and/or any DNO requirements)

As there has been no problem as far as you know then the original designer obviously did an ok job. I would not worry too much about it although the fitting of 63A MCBs will give you improved overload protection of the cables.
But double sheathed 16mm² ccc is 87A clipped direct, so there is no problem even with 60A 3036s.
The 10mm² sub-main earths will also be big enough for any main bonding in a TNC-S system depending on the incoming neutral csa (and/or any DNO requirements)
Thanks for your rapid response. What you say sounds very reassuring.

I take it from what you say that MCBs are as acceptable as fuses for protecting the sub-mains, even though I haven't seen or heard of that being done very often. I would certainly welcome the gain of wallspace which could be achieved by replacing the massive switchfuses with MCBs and, if I were going to go down that route, I would have thought that (if they can be easily sourced at sensible price), it would be as well to go for 80A (rather than 63A) dp MCBs - which would still be OK with clipped direct 16mm². Does that make sense?

As I mentioned, the sub-mains are currently each protected by 100mA S Type RCDs. I suspect this is a left-over from the split load days, but nevertheless view them as a bit of 'belt and braces' backup for the 30 mA RCDs in CUs, so I would be inclined to keep them (rather than making the work a bit easier by simply replacing them with MCBs in the same enclosures). Would you agree with that? The present wiring has those 100 mA RCDs preceding the switch-fuses. I'm not sure that I can see any real reason why the order makes much difference, but is there a conventional (or even required) way around?

Thanks again for your interest.

Kind Regards, John

That being said a larger amperage MCB will not always discriminate with a lower amperage one (in it's magnetic operation) so from a supply continuity point of view it would probably not be a good idea to use them as sub-main protection (unless you can prove discrimination)

Sponsored Links
I would certainly welcome the gain of wallspace which could be achieved by replacing the massive switchfuses with MCBs
If you end up wanting to keep fuses for discrimination reasons the MEM KMF is nice and compact. Takes cartridge fuses so no 0.725 malarkey.

That being said a larger amperage MCB will not always discriminate with a lower amperage one (in it's magnetic operation) so from a supply continuity point of view it would probably not be a good idea to use them as sub-main protection (unless you can prove discrimination)
I presume that you are talking about discrimintion between an MCB protecting the sub-main and MCBs protecting the final circuits? If so, is that really an issue, either practically or in terms of regulations? MCBs tripping is (at least for me!) an incredibly rare occurrence. In fact, I can't think of it having happened for a number of years. In the days of incandescent lamps, it occasionally happened on some of our fairly heavily loaded lighting circuits when a bulb died at switch on, but that is no longer an issue.

Having said that, the MEM KMF switch fuses suggested by BAS seem to represent a small, neat and cost-effective solution, so I will certainly give some thought to that.

Kind Regards, John.

I would certainly welcome the gain of wallspace which could be achieved by replacing the massive switchfuses with MCBs
If you end up wanting to keep fuses for discrimination reasons the MEM KMF is nice and compact. Takes cartridge fuses so no 0.725 malarkey.
Thanks. Whilst, as I've just written in another message, I'm not sure that discrimination concerns me all that much, they do look ideal - not only neat but comparable in size and cable Iz requirements to an MCB+enclosure, and also seemingly fairly cost-effective. With a 'factor' of 0.967 rather than 0.725, I presume that it would be just OK to use a 80A fuse with the clipped 16mm² cable. I'll certainly give that option some serious thought.

Do you have any other thoughts or observations about tyhe situation I described?

Thanks again.

Kind Regards, John.

Although possibly a rare occurence, generally speaking, if it did happen the chances are you would have the main DB in a locked cupboard where resetting of the sub MCB could be a pain.
You have to factor in the use of the building as well. For instance a fault on a cooker element could take out the 50/63A sub main mcb and leave someone elderly/infirm in darkness !

Looking up the MEM KMF revealed that the fuses this unit uses are ones which are described by some (e.g. TLC) as 'House Service Fuses' and this got my inquisitive mind thinking (always a dangerous thing) about the thinking behind the requirements for protection of long meter tails or sub-mains.

What I usually see being said is that the DNO's are only happy to have their service fuses protecting 2-3 metres or so of appropriately sized cable, hence the requirement for additional user-provided cable protection for longer runs. However, if one protects a long cable run with something like a 80A MEM KMF, it would seem that one is merely adding another potentially identical fuse in series with the DNO's one. It is therefore less clear to me (than before I started thinking!) as to what the additional protection is meant to achieve. There is no clear reason for any discrimination between the two fuses - if the fuseswere identical and one, but not the other, blew, that would presumably just be essentially random. Hence I am finding it difficult to understand in what sense the additional fuse is offering any appreciable additional protection to the cable. What am I missing in relation to the requirement for such additional protection?

This leads to a further real compliance question about my installation. Near to the meter, there is one small CU connected prior to the associated switch fuse and sub-main, which contains an RCD and two 16A MCBs serving immersion heaters. Presumably on the basis that these MCBs would limit the downstream (hence usually also the upstream) current to a maximum of (nominal) 32A, this CU is supplied by cable which I think is 10mm² (possibly even 6mm²). Whilst it is true that the MCBs should limit the (nominal) downstream current to 32A, a live-neutral or live-earth fault prior to the MCBs obvioulsy could leave the relatively small supply cable inadquately protected by the service fuse. I therefore wonder about this in terms of compliance with regulations and/or DNO requirements. If there is a problem, it would presumably be simpler to upgrade the cable (I would personally have thought that 16mm² would be plenty!) than to add a fuse to protect the short run of small cable.

Kind Regards, John.

Whilst it is true that the MCBs should limit the (nominal) downstream current to 32A, a live-neutral or live-earth fault prior to the MCBs obvioulsy could leave the relatively small supply cable inadquately protected by the service fuse. I therefore wonder about this in terms of compliance with regulations and/or DNO requirements. If there is a problem, it would presumably be simpler to upgrade the cable (I would personally have thought that 16mm² would be plenty!) than to add a fuse to protect the short run of small cable.

Kind Regards, John.

The downstream devices are preventing overload. The service fuse could be providing short-circuit protection for the supply cable to the immersion board.

The downstream devices are preventing overload. The service fuse could be providing short-circuit protection for the supply cable to the immersion board.
Indeed; I think that is more-or-less a paraphrase of what I wrote. Are you implying that my doubts about compliance are justified - i.e. that the service fuse is too large to be protectiting the 'small' supply cable? Common sense suggests that if one is only concerned about short circuit protection, then a fuse much larger than that which would be required for overload protection should be adequate, but I suspect that may well not be how regulations/DNOs would think, otherwise they probably wouldn't have the requirement for user-provided protection of long tails/sub-mains.

The way I see the 'common sense', a dead short between the far end of a pair of 10mm² singles about 1 metre long (about 8.8 mΩ combined resistance) ought to result in a current around 26 kA - so I reckon that anything approaching a dead short would blow the service fuse mighty quickly, I doubt appreciably slower than would a 60A fuse.

...so, what does this mean in terms of the acceptability of the 10mm² (maybe even 6mm²) supply cables I have - does 'common sense' or the usual Iz consideration (conceived to offer adequate overload protection) win?

Kind Regards, John

Have a browse through Chapter 43 and all will become clear !
OK, I'll have a browse when I get home, which I hope falls short of having to read the whole chapter to find the answer! My bones feel that they know the likely answer already - regulations have a habit of being 'conservative', sometimes to the point of significant deviation from realistic logic!

Kind Regards, John.

Have a browse through Chapter 43 and all will become clear !
OK, I've browsed! It looks to me as if 433.2.2 is probably saying that the 10 mm² cable to my immersion CU is OK in terms of overload protection (that being provided by the MCBs, about 1 metre downstream), and 435.2 allows for overload and fault protection to be separate. What I am having more difficulty in working out is whether the 80A fuse is acceptable as fault (short circuit) protection for that ~1 metre of 10 mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John

Ah - the joys of let-through energy and adiabatic equtions are heading your way...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back