Sub-mains and more

One of the problems in my doing any sums is that I don't really know what fault current to design for.
What's the breaking capacity of your MCBs?
[assuming you are talking about my immersion CU, and that the question is real rather than rhetorical!] ... the present day 'domestic usual' - i.e. 6kA, and there are two of them (and nothing else). They cannot, of course protect against faults arising in the cable we have been discussing, since they are downstream of that cable.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Of course - silly of me to forget that an administrative decision affects whether an MCB will work or not... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
To slightly turn this, but it may help, given a blank sheet what would you do?
The main question relating to the need for additional protection
The relative sizes of tails/fuses and which specs should be used is a source of much argument within the industry!
Right; we're on the same page, then!

If I were a DNO with a blank sheet, I think I would find it very hard to find a way of justifying a requirement that consumers should provide additional protection for tails of any length. As I keep saying, I really don't see what it is meant/likely to achieve, unless you can think of a way of getting discrimation/selectivity between the DNO's fuse and consumer's additional protection.

I'm not even sure that the sizing of the tails is something which necessarily need concern the DNO. The only things at risk of anything would seem to be the tails themselves - so I'm not actually sure what that's about, either.

Some flexibility might also be useful. I recently saw a property in which the meter had recently been changed and , whilst doing that, the person concerned had insisted on 'upgrading' the very short cables from the service head to meter to at least 25 mm² (looked more like 35 mm² to me), despite the fact that the supply (overhead, rural) to the property and the meter tails were clearly only 16 mm².

What would you do with a blank piece of paper?

Kind Regards, John.

For the reasons stated I would be looking to have some form of protective device as soon as possible after the point of supply, the outgoing terminals of the meter. The point that the IEE regulations start and the supply industry regulations finish.

From a selfish point of view why should the DNO supply equipment to protect customer wiring?

Why should they accept the liability if something goes wrong with that wiring?
(believe me following fires in the meter area, insurance companies are very quick to try to apportion blame to us)

I am quite comfortable with the situation, I was asking you for your solution as you were questioning the logic

You say tails of any length. 5m, 10m or 30m where do you set a limit, the ESI set a limit they were comfortable with and, no doubt, discussed with interested parties

I would certainly welcome the gain of wallspace which could be achieved by replacing the massive switchfuses with MCBs
If you end up wanting to keep fuses for discrimination reasons the MEM KMF is nice and compact. Takes cartridge fuses so no 0.725 malarkey.
In terms of regaining wallspace, would there be any reason not to use DIN rail mounted fuseholders & switches in a suitable enclosure ?
This is what was installed to feed my flat - and the electrician pointed out that it should have a 6A, not 80A, fuse installed when I had the installation tested recently (only been like that for the 18 years since it was built)
I'd have thought that a box containing multiple sets like that (4units per submain) would minimise wall space used.

Oh yes, we had to have one of those MEM switches changed at work not long ago. It was getting "a tad warm" after a good few years with a steady 30A or so from our server room running through it.

For the reasons stated I would be looking to have some form of protective device as soon as possible after the point of supply, the outgoing terminals of the meter. The point that the IEE regulations start and the supply industry regulations finish.
From a selfish point of view why should the DNO supply equipment to protect customer wiring?
Why should they accept the liability if something goes wrong with that wiring?
I wouldn't call it selfish - rather, very reasonable and commercially sensible, and if I saw the situation as "the DNO supplying equipment to protect customer wiring" then I would be saying exactly the same as you. However, I'm not suggesting that the DNO should supply anything that they don't have to supply for their own reasons (their fuse) and nor am I suggesting that they should be expected to take responsibility for anything that happens downstream of their meter.

I could turn your questions on their head and talk equally 'selfishly' (although I would again call it 'reasonably') from the consumer's viewpoint, and ask why should a customer be forced to supply equipment to protect their wiring if they felt that the wiring was already (and inevitably) adequately protected (by the DNO's fuse), and if failure to provide such additional protection would pose no risk to the DNO's equipment and (in the absence of discrimination/selectivity) would probably not even have appreciable impact on inconvenience to the DNO.

I am quite comfortable with the situation, I was asking you for your solution as you were questioning the logic
You say tails of any length. 5m, 10m or 30m where do you set a limit, the ESI set a limit they were comfortable with and, no doubt, discussed with interested parties
The argument I'm putting forward is essentially independent of the length of the tails, so theoretically requires no limit. The more I think about this, the more I suspect that (as you have hinted) this may be more about lawyers and litigation than engineering sense. It's probably not helped by confusion (certainly on the part of much of the public, and possibly also the law) as to the ownership of the meter tails. Except in the minority of cases in which the DNO supplies a meter with a built in isolator, the fact that the DNO seals the connection at one end might strengthen the feeling (perhaps even in law) that they are the property (and responsibility) of the DNO. However, even given that, I wouldn't have thought that it would be beyond the capabilities of lawyers to produce contracts (and if necessary support them in Courts) which made it very clear that, provided only that they provided an electricity supply which 'did what it said on the tin', the DNO was responsible for nothing beyond their meter.

That's how I see it, anyway :)

Kind Regards, John.

In terms of regaining wallspace, would there be any reason not to use DIN rail mounted fuseholders & switches in a suitable enclosure ?
[piccies snipped]
This is what was installed to feed my flat - and the electrician pointed out that it should have a 6A, not 80A, fuse installed when I had the installation tested recently (only been like that for the 18 years since it was built)
I'd have thought that a box containing multiple sets like that (4units per submain) would minimise wall space used.
Thanks for your interest and suggestion. You presumably don't mean 6A - did you mean to type 60A?

That approach would certainly be an improvement, but the MEM KMF800 switch-fuse recommended by BAS is tiny, and therefore would gain me a lot more wallspace.

Oh yes, we had to have one of those MEM switches changed at work not long ago. It was getting "a tad warm" after a good few years with a steady 30A or so from our server room running through it.
I have several of the big MEM switch-fuses, which have probably been in service for about 30 years. They are appear visually to be in perfect condition and never show any signs of any warmth at all - the only problem is their size.

Kind Regards, John.

It actually gets more complicated!

Though still being discussed, it is mooted that the DNO is only responsible for up to the main fuse, the Supplier/meter operator for the bit from there to the outgoing terminals of the meter - which has always been the case. Anything after that is the responsibility of the customer.

The hit and miss approach to fitting isolators after the meter doesn't help matters.
Though when we did the number of faults we dealt with caused by loose connections on the outgoing side was quite high.
A combination of poor equipment and incorrect use!

You presumably don't mean 6A - did you mean to type 60A?
63A actually - no I didn't really mean 6A :rolleyes:
I have several of the big MEM switch-fuses, which have probably been in service for about 30 years. They are appear visually to be in perfect condition and never show any signs of any warmth at all - the only problem is their size.
This one was faulty - and burning up :eek: I think someone applied my IR thermometer to it and got some frightening reading. Once the contacts get hot enough, they lose their spring and the problem gets worse - the smell was gave it away.

It was a right b***er to replace though. Luckily the lecky board chap didn't sod off as soon as he'd taken the supply fuse out as they had to drop the meter tails out to get enough length to change the unit. The cable entries are on the rear, so they suit a situation where you can drill through a board and hide the cable behind, though that's a maintenance nightmare.
Correction, having had a look (I've got the 'trophy' at home) there are knockouts that will allow top/bottom entry.

It actually gets more complicated!
Though still being discussed, it is mooted that the DNO is only responsible for up to the main fuse, the Supplier/meter operator for the bit from there to the outgoing terminals of the meter - which has always been the case. Anything after that is the responsibility of the customer.
Fair enough, but that is just an 'internal' matter caused by Balkanisation of the electrical supply process, and is of no real concern to the customer, who is merely concerned about where his/her 'ownership' and responsibility starts, regardless of who (one organisation or many) bear responsible for the rest!
The hit and miss approach to fitting isolators after the meter doesn't help matters.
Though when we did the number of faults we dealt with caused by loose connections on the outgoing side was quite high.
Yes, I can imagine that, in reality, it could easily produce more problems than it solves - but it might help people and, in particular courts, to understand who 'owns' (and is responsible for) the tails. If I bought, and became owner of, a hosepipe, but the supplier padlocked one end of it to my front gate, so that I was not free to do with it as I wished, a court might well question the extent to which I had become the 'owner' - maybe a bit like owning a Leasehold!

If I dare to harp back to the main discussion, I could easily argue that the fact that you keep reminding me that the consumer's responsibility starts at the outgoing terminals of the meter reinforces my uncertainty as to why the DNO should have any concern about the length (or size) of cable attached to those terminals and the presence or absence of any consumer-installed protection for that cable :)

Cheers, John.

I see what you mean.

I can't stop feeling uncomfortable with the main fuse being the only means of electrical protection for long tails.

I see what you mean.
I can't stop feeling uncomfortable with the main fuse being the only means of electrical protection for long tails.
'You' (the DNO) shouldn't really feel uncomfortable since, as you keep saying, that cable is the problem/responsibility of the consumer, not the DNO.

Even if you did feel you had to be concerned about the long tails, why would you feel more comfortable if there were a second, quite possibly similar or identical, fuse a couple of feet downstream of the DNO one, particular if the tails were very long? Unless you don't trust the DNO fuse to operate when it should, I don't really undertsand why you would feel more comfortable with two similar fuses in series, right after one another at the start of a long cable run. Am I missing something? ...and nor, really, do I understand why length of tails is much of an issue, beyond (possibly, depending upon situation) the slighly increased risk that they will suffer mechanical damage.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back