Subaru Legacy ECU problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy LX AWD. 2.0
Its getting on a bit now at ~140,000 miles.
Tried to start it yesterday morning, turned over grand but simply wouldn't start.
Said **** it and got the bus. When I got home that evening I went out for quick look, just to see what happened I tried to start her up and she started grand.
Took it for a spin, drove fine.
I was pretty baffled at this stage.
Then the next day. Went to start it up, same story. Turned over fine but wouldn't start. Then the 'Check Engine' light started flashing, very very quickly in time with a ticking noise. Every time you turn the ignition the locks also try to open and there's a creaking noise from the passenger footwell.
I can hear the fuel pump spinning up as always though.
I took the battery out to put on charge (I seriously doubt its a flat battery myself but I was praying it was something as simple as that). Nothing wrong with it, its fully charged.

So basically here's the symptoms
- Rapidly flashing check engine light when ignition is switched on.
- Central locking trying to close
- Not a peep outta the starter when ignition is turned
- Weird creaking noise from the passenger footwell, which I'm pretty sure is where the ECU is located.
- Battery fully charged.

Hoping its just an earth wire somewhere, but I cant see anything wrong with any wires that are clearly visible from under the bonnet.
Hoping someone can give me some direction?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
first place to start is the connections to the battery, make sure they are clean especially the inside of the clamp that contacts the battery posts.

Or a bad/corroded earth connection, corroded fuse?

Hopefully its something more straight forward than the ECU, especially when it just will not turn over on the key. You will have to get the codes read to know why the engine light is flashing

Let us know how you get on

Sponsored Links
Back