subfloor for parquet quick question or 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm new here but been looking around alot

I'm going to be fitting a reclaimed parquet floor in the near future and after reading a lot of posts I'm still a bit confused on one or two things regarding the sub floor.

It's a mixed concrete and floor board area so I know I need a uniform sub floor.......... on reading there are two options either hardboard or 6mm ply.

which is best and how do I attach the ply/hardboard to the concrete

Any help is much appreciated

Ian

Sponsored Links
I would never use hardboard my self but always plywood. Hardboard isn't as stable or strong and you will never be able to glue something like wooden flooring to it. I would also not plywood over concrete. Its not really recommended. I would myself plywood with 4 or 6mm on wooden area and use a leveling compound to go over the top of the plywood and concrete area as one. you must use flex levelling compound. Read the sticky posts at top about how to level a very uneven wooden subfloor and how to use levelling compound . Combine the two posts together and you should under stand how to do it.

Thanks for the idea

however this has confused me a bit more as I number of post I've read indicates that ply on concrete should be ok subfloor

also I should have stated that the conrete already has a layer of screed on it........ I founf that out when I was removing the skirting boards as they where screeded in place!

Ian

Sponsored Links
alot of people say use plywood as they dont know about the products and how to use them. You can use plywood if you want but i wood only use this if nailing floor down which then you can use a battern system. If just using plywood you need to use very thick as nails will pass through hitting concrete base and not securing flooring. You also raise the floor level more than if using levelling compound method and you can get subfloor flatter. Its up to you tho on what you decide to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back