Subsidence/brick crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can these cracks be caused by subsidence or are they usually cracks?House from 1950

Attachments

• 20240201_155230.jpg
    20240201_155230.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20240130_162109.jpg
    20240130_162109.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Cracks above a window or door opening are more likely due to lack of a lintel or a poor lintel

It often happens after upvc is fitted when replacing timber or steel windows.

one is under the window and the other is above the kitchen window, we also have a few cracks inside,that's where the crack is under the window
1000010893.jpg

Attachments

• 20240202_095216.jpg
    20240202_095216.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 29
Those cracks could be caused by subsidence, along with several other possible causes.

Sponsored Links
what can we do in such a situation? We bought the house recently and the lower crack was covered with bags and no one saw it, should we keep an eye on it or call the insurance?

For a proper assessment, you will need a report by a structural engineer, or a building surveyor - if he is able to comment on cracking without referring to a structural engineer. Not a builder, not anyone else.

For diagnosis, someone needs to look at the building and the external areas and form an opinion on the most likely cause, based on several factors. Anything else is guesswork. The crack is the symptom, and you need to know the cause first, deal with the cause, and then repair the cracking and plaster.

I would avoid contacting the insurance at this stage. Your insurer is there to minimise any payout and will give a biased opinion. But just by notifying them, you put them on notice and that alone could increase future premiums.

The property has suffered previous movement but I saw no evidence to suggest this is ongoing. Was it in the bank note or do I have to report it to the insurance? I honestly don't know about this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back