Suggestions for avoiding moulding on grout for mosaics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be tiling a 1600mm wet room seat most probably with a mosaic style tiling for my steam room. Im worried about the fact that water or steam might just sit on the grout despite it having a slight slope, there will be some damp on there.

Will this go mouldy after a bit? Some tile shops are proposing epoxy grout, is that any better?

Sponsored Links
I have only used epoxy a couple of times. Great stuff but a pig to work with. It takes a lot of polishing to remove all traces from the tile surface. I would recommend it for your seat.

I have only ever used the Mapei epoxy grout (Kerapoxy). They sell dozens of colours and matching silicones.

It is about £20 for a 2Kg tub.

https://www.sealantsandtools.co.uk/grouts/mapei-kerapoxy-epoxy-grout

You buy it by the tub. In the top of the tub is a small bottle of catalyst. You pour the catalyst in to the tub and mix it with the "paste". The catalyst generates heat to cure the grout. In many respects it is similar to 2 pack filler but has a longer working window and is thinner.

I last used it on my glass mosaic hob splashback. I didn't want to use regular grey grout because of cooking stains. The epoxy was resistant to things like oil and ketchup. I regularly cleaned the tiles with scotch pads and at no point did the grout ever discolour.

The only downsides were cost and longer application times. It takes a lot of wiping to ensure you don't leave any residue on the tile surface.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back