Suggestions for downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We purchased a house 2 years ago and are very happy apart from one thing, both toilets are upstairs. The house was built in 1989 with a double storey extension added in 2011 (Garage, kitchen extension, main bathroom and bedroom 3).

It's not an issue for us as homeowners, but with many elderly relatives coming to visit, we find the stairs a bit of an issue for them (no stairlift will be installed...yet!).

Looked at the attached plans, can anyone suggest a good location for a simple toilet and washbasin to fit in? The main drain for the toilets currently falls on the back of the property just to the right of the kitchen window, next to the conservatory.

Do you think it would be possible to extend the porch somehow and incorporate a toilet in the entrance?

Thanks all

91771_100795009027_FLP_01_0000_max_1350x1350.jpg

Sponsored Links
Go into the garage by the foot of the stairs

Thanks Nige, but on the inside of the garage is gas and elec meters right in line with the bottom of the stairs and that area. I'll do some measuring to see what sape is available at the front edge of the garage. Can't go into the back left corner as boiler mounted on that wall (could maybe look into moving this).

You might be lucky and find a drain near the boiler position outside.

Sponsored Links
Either extend the porch and incorporate a cloakroom or extend the garage and create a new cloakroom and utility room off the breakfast room.

It does seem odd that the previous owners extended to create a 4 bedroom house but didn't bother to have a ground floor cloakroom or an en-suite bathroom, both would be considered fairly standard in a house of that size these days.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to spend some time with a tape measure and see what the options are. Is there a minimum width /length for a cloakroom/toilet area?

Hi folks. See attached basic plan. Garage conversion looks like the only viable option. Porch area not suitable as previously suggested.

Proposed toilet.jpg

I thought that by putting up a solid block wall with additional door leading through into the garage might be an option, to allow me continued internal access. I'd install a toilet and basin on one side, and then use the space opposite as a sort of utility area, freeing up some space in the kitchen. Does this sort of thing require any particular BR approval? Is it classed as being turned into a habitable space?

Drainage from the area would be under existing kitchen floor, exiting and tapping into exiting soil pipe to the rear of kitchen. Floor would be built up from existing garage level to house floor level, which would give me enough space underneath to run services.

I want to keep a fair amount of the front of the garage free as a workshop so I'm only looking to create a room maximum width of about 1500mm. Solid block would give me space either side of the new door to hang cabinets in the garage to compensate for reduced storage from the change. Thought I would then batten, insulate, board and skim the internal side.

What do you think? I really appreciate all your comments. First time doing anything like this but I'm keen to see if it is something do-able as a diyproject or if I would be better to get in a builder (plumbing and electrics will definitely be done by pros).

Why are there no drains showing on the drawing? This is the most important aspect.

You're absolutely right noseall. This basic thing could make or break the plan entirely. I need to check runs and sketch them out later.

Nige - An Elsan might be too much of a luxury for the relatives. I might just dig a hole under the shed and bore a hole in a 8x2 to sit on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back