Suggestions for outbuilding roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking at replacing the roof on a garden outbuilding in a house i'm looking at buying. It's technically a mobile/park home which is to be used as a granny annex. At the moment it's got what I believe are Asphalt Shingles on a shallow pitched roof (approx. area 60m^2) which have been up for about 7 years. The roof clearly needs some work as it wasn't finished properly. No facias or guttering and one edge is basically just rolled over sarking felt, the current owners seem to have just gotten bored before finishing the work.

I haven't done roofing work before so would welcome any pointers, in particular;
  1. links to any Idiots guides
  2. Suggestions on what type of materials I should be looking at to replace it with

Sponsored Links
Something similar, asphalt shingles, lightweight tiles like they now use on conservatory roofs.

Will you need to increase insulation level to comply with building regs

I'm not sure I'd need to involve building control as it'd be maintenance rather than any upgrades / changes?

Having said that I'm not sure the building ever met building regs. I haven't been able to untangle all the details on it yet, there is a letter from building control that says since it is a mobile home they don't need to look at to. Which surprised me as I didn't think it worked that way.

Having said that I'm a bit obsessive about insulation and it is tempting to slap 100mm of celotex over the top...

I'm not sure I'd need to involve building control as it'd be maintenance rather than any upgrades / changes?

Having said that I'm not sure the building ever met building regs. I haven't been able to untangle all the details on it yet, there is a letter from building control that says since it is a mobile home they don't need to look at to. Which surprised me as I didn't think it worked that way.

Having said that I'm a bit obsessive about insulation and it is tempting to slap 100mm of celotex over the top...

If its under building regs are you are redoing the roof, you would need to improve the insulation level.

Sponsored Links
I've found some paperwork that says it isn't covered by building regs, from the local company that does building control. I'm assuming that doesn't change if I reroof it.

Mobile home is considered a temp structure . What do you intend to use it for.?

Mobile home is considered a temp structure . What do you intend to use it for.?
Well that's the weird bit. The structure was built (installed might be a better term for a mobile home) as a granny annex for a disabled relative with kitchen, boiler, bathroom. It is more or less a fully functioning building, but does share access, utilities etc. They got retrospective planning consent for it as an annex with the wording in line with incidental use, despite it at the time having the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom installed which my interpretation says they shouldn't. My guess is that it got ok'd as it was to accommodate a disabled relative and it was already built. We would be using it for the same purpose again, a disabled inlaw who really needs a wheelchair friendly home.

Which puts it in a really odd place, I don't see how it got planning consent and how it avoided any building regulations checks, but there is paperwork stating that it has consent and doesn't need to meet building regs. I suspect that it isn't insulated to current specs which I lean towards fixing, but I have no idea how that squares with the actual use or what happens if we replace the roof, or insulate the roof and walls to bring it up to spec, or even re-clad the thing (wooden shiplap, badly executed).

Slightly off topic for the roofing forum, but in my defence I did try to keep it more focused!

Well that's the weird bit. The structure was built (installed might be a better term for a mobile home) as a granny annex for a disabled relative with kitchen, boiler, bathroom. It is more or less a fully functioning building, but does share access, utilities etc. They got retrospective planning consent for it as an annex with the wording in line with incidental use, despite it at the time having the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom installed which my interpretation says they shouldn't. My guess is that it got ok'd as it was to accommodate a disabled relative and it was already built. We would be using it for the same purpose again, a disabled inlaw who really needs a wheelchair friendly home.

Which puts it in a really odd place, I don't see how it got planning consent and how it avoided any building regulations checks, but there is paperwork stating that it has consent and doesn't need to meet building regs. I suspect that it isn't insulated to current specs which I lean towards fixing, but I have no idea how that squares with the actual use or what happens if we replace the roof, or insulate the roof and walls to bring it up to spec, or even re-clad the thing (wooden shiplap, badly executed).

Slightly off topic for the roofing forum, but in my defence I did try to keep it more focused!

You can do as you wish , if you want a long term maintenance free roof look at EPDM , easy to lay and can expect up to 40 years service .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back