Suggestions on configuring downspouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front of my house has two water downpipes. One goes right in to the ground, underground and through the front forecourt wall, exiting on to the pavement. The other pours right out on to the ground. See pics...

0oHpijol.jpg

GVLbsk9l.jpg

I am considering new options for the top-exiting pipe for two reasons...

1. I am wondering whether water exiting so near the base of the wall here is a bad idea. Anyone got a view on this? Several walls are suffering from damp and I want to do what I can to eliminate that any risk of that in this area.

2. I want to plant a row of privacy hedging, perhaps cherry laurel, where you see the row of patio slabs. As is, that water would be pouring right on to the hedging. Maybe this risks over-watering or simply sludgy soil? But I like the idea of using the appropriate amount of natural water for the hedge if necessary.

Any thoughts on what, if anything, could or should be done?
Any thoughts about planting hedging here?

Could the top-exiting pipe be directed in to the underground pipe at the visible portion? I seem to recall a rule against doing this, regarding volume of water exiting to the pavement (?).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Common both pipes into one, I doubt it'll raise any issues. Should garden become waterlogged then excess water will run onto pavement anyway, possibly taking mud with it.

If you really wanted to use rainwater to water the garden, simply provide a Water Butt and use a diverter kit on one of the downpipes. Out of curiosity, where do the 2 pipes takes water from anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back