Suitable Consumer Unit for a Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've fitted an electric shower and looking for a suitable fuse box. Buying/fitting everything myself up until dealing with the mains electricity since that's illegal.

The manual for the shower is at http://www.creda-showers.com/downloads top right image with description "Creda 550C
electric shower" I have the 10.5Kw version with nothing special about the installation (less than 2m from the current consumer unit) so need a 45A BS.1361 fuse.

Was planning to buy through Screwfix, but looking under consumer units I didn't see anything obviously suitable, recall a while back looking and seeing a 45A unit which was specifically for showers, but no longer available. Any suggestions on which consumer unit to buy and if none suitable at Screwfix where to get it?

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
Have you already got an electrician who's agreed to wire in whatever you install, if not, stop now and find one before doing anything else.

Under Part P of the building regs, you either need to notify building control before doing the work, and pay a notification fee, or have it done by a member of a Part P competent person scheme. If you use the latter approach (which is what it sounds like you're intending to do), then the electrician who signs it off is signing off to say all the work has been done (or at least supervised) by him/her.

Some electricians would be happy for someone else to do the donkey work (chasing out walls for the cabling, clipping it etc), but they should want it done to their design - i.e. they specify cable size, route, breaker type, enclosure etc, and normally they would do all the terminations (since if they don't they've still got to check all the ones you've done).

If you have notified building control, then fair enough - looking through Screwfix all they've got is ones with 50A MCBs in, so you could get one of those and a 45A MCB separately and just swap it in, or you could just buy an enclosure, and an appropriate RCCB+MCB or just an RCBO)...

Buying/fitting everything myself up until dealing with the mains electricity since that's illegal.
Connecting a circuit to the electricity supply is not illegal.
Installing a new circuit without notifying building control is.

need a 45A BS.1361 fuse.
You do not want a fuse. You want a suitably rated RCD and circuit breaker.

Screwfix have several small consumer units suitable for a shower.
However, how were you intending to have this connected to the supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back