Is Consumer Box Big enough to take 45A trip for Shower

45 amp SB6000 MCBs did exist - but no chance of finding new ones now.
Dodgy used efforts may be available from the usual tat bazaar, but 45A were seldom used and are now exceptionally rare, and therefore grossly overpriced.

Even if you can find one, installing it in the existing consumer unit is a fail, as it has a single RCD for everything, and shoving yet another circuit onto that non-compliant deal only makes a poor situation worse.

A small separate CU for the shower is the only valid option, unless you want to replace the entire thing.
The usual other things such as main bonding size, total load and so on all require consideration.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help, looks like I will have to get someone out to have a look and get a price. Consumer box is directly below the upstairs bathroom, I'm no expert but I don't think that running the cable will be too much of a problem because it can run up in to bathroom behind the false wall that I will be putting the shower on, to the loft space then to a bathroom pull cord then to the shower unit. No visible cable showing apart from maybe a small piece of trunking next to the consumer box, which is fine.
Any Ball park figure just for the wiring an safety certificate ? I will plumb shower in myself.
Thanks
Just don't want to get ripped off

Sponsored Links
It's likely that whoever installs the shower unit will have to liaise with your DNO (distribution network operator) for them to come and pull the main fuse, and return and reseal, as the work should not be done live.

You may also require a fuse upgrade if your existing fuse is less than 80 amp.

Your DNO will be able to advise, and may visit free of charge.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/fuse-upgrade

Electricans don't normally bother with that stuff though do they?

Fuse don't require upgrade, as long as you aren't going to run a tumble drier or hob at the same time

ANyway, get a local electrican to give you are quote, now you understand a mini CU is the way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back