wylex 45a breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have fitted a new Mira 9.5Kw shower using 10mm cable with a run of 14.5M.
I know I need minimum of 45A breaker and the instructions confirm sa 45a breaker should be used.
Unfortunately the consumer unit is a Wylex and I am led to believe they do not make 45A breakers. Is there an alternative brand that will fit in my unit
If anyone out there can confirm this I would be very grateful.
Graeme

Sponsored Links
What reference method have you installed the cable to?

Would a 50A device provide apropriate protection for the cable?

You can't just 'upgrade' a circuit breaker to a larger device. Often the existing circuit breaker will be as large as possible for the wiring. Please explain exactly what you had before and what you have done.

Sponsored Links
ajrobb, not wanting to upgrade a breaker, the whole circuit and shower are new. I want to add a 45A breaker to the consumer unit as explained in initial question. But Wylex do not appear to produce 45A breakers, need to know if there is a compatable one.

1john, yes, the unit has plug in breakers.

Thanks for your time guys.
[/b]

the unit has plug in breakers.

Then you'll need to provide RCD protection outside of the consumer unit at 30mA somehow, which you may already have if you've a TT supply. Is there an upstream main switch?

With regards to the CU, how many ways does it have? Wylex standards with 6 or under usually don't take anything above 30A.

You can get a 45A fuse carrier for the purpose. But again, check there's an RCD present.

If your consumer unit has plug in circuit breakers, then there is no one who makes 45A MCBs for that type of CU.

There is a fair chance that you will not be able to use a 40A device either.

What is the rating of the main switch of your consumer unit?

How have you RCD protected your new circuit?

the whole circuit and shower are new.
What EFLI did you measure at the shower end? Will a B45 be OK?

When you add an RCD, how will you test it?

When you applied for Building Regulations approval what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1?

RF Lighting, Will have to check RCD protection and rating, the unit is at another house.
Does this look like a new consumer unit required, one that will accept a 45A breaker?

mfarrow, TT Supply?

Does this look like a new consumer unit required, one that will accept a 45A breaker?
We could jump into the pedantics of the specific mention of a breaker vs cartridge fuse in the manufacturer's instructions, however I do not see how this would jeapedise the situation if the characteristics of the circuit means a cartridge fuse complied.

mfarrow, TT Supply?
A TT supply is one where you install your own earth, i.e. you're main earth doesn't go back to the supplier's cut-out but to a stake in the ground outside. If you haven't got an RCD then you'll need a separate two-module box and double-pole RCD fitted next to the CU for the shower circuit. It looks messy, and your existing installation is probably quite old, hence a new CU is recommended.

Again, the circuit will need testing before using it.

Old wylex boards have a maximum rating of 30A per outgoing way. It doesn't matter if it's a semi enclosed fuse, a cartridge fuse or a circuit breaker. 30A is the max. 40A devices burn out wylexs for fun.

It doesn't matter if the supply is TT or not. An RCD is required for this circuit under ALL circumstances.

Also, if all the other circuits in the bathroom are not RCD protected, or the PEBs are not up to spec, supplementary bonding will also need to be installed.

So In conclusion, you need an electrician, you can't install it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back