advice please on wiring socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I have a double socket that is connected to the mains through a wylex 45a breaker it has one trip switch on it. This socket powers a water heater for hot water in the flat. Its a small plug in unit. My question is can I take a spur off this box and have a second double socket coming off of it. That is have 2 cables wired into it

Sorry but I made a mistake the 45a is a small wylex consumer unit with one fuse/breaker.

Thanks

Asylum

Sponsored Links
Its 27amp cable I believe looks the same as the cable I have for my socket. It a weird setup. there is just this one socket powered of that single breaker consumer unit.

this is what it is connected to

Wylex 104
1 way 45 amp DP insulated consumer unit

Asylum[/img]

Sounds to me like an old shower or cooker cable which is no longer being used. I meant what size is the old cable that is already there?

Sponsored Links
I am not sure it is about 10mm accross. But amp rating could not tell you. It is supplying power to 1 double socket.

Asylum

You need to either find out the type of existing cable (measure cores diameter and calculate cross-section area of copper) If it is not written on it by the maker!
Then, it may or may not be possible to add more load. If the fuse (not the rating of the main switch, but the fuse) is appropriate, then we can tellyou what to extend in.

I think I have solved my problem. I am going to take a spur of a socket connected to the ring. I am doing this to get power to the other side of the room I need to power a ups which will have 4 computers on it. I will also have a printer connected to a 4 way extension and a broadband modem. Is this too much load for a spur?

Thanks

Asylum

If the total load is less than 3000Watts, it will be OK for a single spur plus multi-way extension lead. Ratings will be on the equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back