suitable gas for a blowtorch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a (new)gas blowtorch at an auto jumble now I'm not sure what sort of gas cylinder I need,is all cylinder gas the same despite the varying makes,Calor,Flo-gas etc
I have a large,15kg Calor cylinder that I want to swap for a smaller more portable 3.9kg does anyone now if thats possible?i.e to "downsize" cylinders.

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about blowtorches, but the make of the cylider shouldn't matter - you just need to find one that the regulator will fit.
There are two common types of gas available in cylinders though, Butane and Propane. You will need to get the right one. From what I've seen most blowtorches use propane, but camping stoves and gas heaters use butane - which would mean you can't use those cylinders on your blowtorch.

Propane gives a hotter flame than butane. I believe the regulators have different fittings, and work at a different pressure.

I had no problems exchanging gas bottle sizes or gas types. It's pretty much like the old penny back on empty lemonade bottles. In theory the supplier returns the deposit on your old cylinder, then takes a deposit on the replacement.

I reckon that the old paraffin blowlamps give a hotter flame still. I've still got a big old primus lamp that will quite merrily warm up a crucible full of brass hot enough for casting, but starting and using them..... What a palaver!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back