Suitable parquet adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to lay some solid block parquet to my ground floor - 22mm thick, square edged, cleaned reclaimed blocks but they have some bitumen residue in the grain on the undersides. I thought I'd better check the fixing technicalities before I part with my cash, and have been going round and round in circles on the internet, so thought I'd ask here, as some of you may well have come across a similar situation.

My kitchen and hall floors are concrete screed, adequately level and sound, but the living room floor is mastic asphalt (some small hollows where heavy furniture legs have been, but otherwise adequately level). All are at the same level and I want the completed floors to be all at the same level. All have fully functioning dpms underneath and are dry floors.

It would appear that the F Ball adhesives require a minimum 3mm 'stopgap' layer over the mastic asphalt, which would mess up the levels, or increase the expense if I then have to do the same over the whole lot (45m2).

Sikabond T54 require a primer (which sounds better) though the details talk about broadcast mastic asphalt, which I presume is grit sprinked over the primer to give a key. But is Sikabond T54 compatible with bitumen residue?

Sika 5500s is supposedly ok without a primer over asphalt but is described as a rigid adhesive, which concerns me ... my instinct is that as wood moves with moisture levels it should be fixed in flexible adhesive.

Or are there other adhesives that would be suitable for this situation?

Advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
For the best result in the short and long run you'll have to either remove the bitumen (asphalt) or use the best primer and screed available to cover it.
F.Ball has an excellent support centre, give them a call and let them advice you on what product exactly to use in your situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back