Suitable radiator for a 4mtr-x-3mtr bedroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What was in place was a 1600mm-x-600mm single panel radiator. The plumber that came out said this is too large for where it is really. It's right up against the skirting, the base of the radiator is well below the top of the skirting & the top of the radiator is right up against the underside of the windowsill.

He measured up & said a 1600-x-400 would be suitable. That's a bit of a drop in surface area.

I don't like the room sweltering but i like a warm room.

Would a single 1600-x-400 be fine for a room this size or would a double really be required?

Sponsored Links
Single panel has about 20% less output than a songle convector.
So if it was a single 1600 x600 panel and you replace it with a 1600 x 400 convector (with wiggly bits on the back) then you will have about 10% less heat from it, maybe more heat if the old one was clagged up inside.

For a reasonably well insulated building a 4m x 3m room (and you don't specify whether it's a lounge, bedroom, or other; upstairs, downstairs; how many outside walls, how high the ceilings are, nor the state of the windows, nor the construction of the walls)....nor where you are in the country....but given this limited information I'd say I'm as clueless as you!It would easily cope in a well insulated room, and be marginal in the worst case, dependant on how warm 'warm enough' is.

Hope this helps :LOL:

Single panel has about 20% less output than a songle convector.
So if it was a single 1600 x600 panel and you replace it with a 1600 x 400 convector (with wiggly bits on the back) then you will have about 10% less heat from it, maybe more heat if the old one was clagged up inside.
Sorry, i don't know all the terminology. It's a convector then since it has the "wiggly bits" on the back

For a reasonably well insulated building a 4m x 3m room (and you don't specify whether it's a lounge, bedroom, or other;
I didn't in the post since i did in the thread title
upstairs, downstairs;
My bedrooms are upstairs
how many outside walls,
how high the ceilings are,
8foot thereabouts
nor the state of the windows,
Double glazed.
nor the construction of the walls)......
Brick outside wall, dashed, plastered interior walls, old plaster, from the 1930s, some bits of filler where there's been holes. Wallpapered. Papered ceiling too since the original ceiling wasn't in the best condition.

More to the point, what's wrong with the old one? Can it not be reused?

Always always always better to oversize a radiator and put a TRV on it than have a radiator too small and struggle to heat the room. The extra cost of the radiator is negligible for the bigger size.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like solid walls.

We don't know how much loft insulation!

Lets assume about 100 mm which is not up to modern standards.

A simple rule of thumb for a less well insulated property is about 150w per sq m. So the would mean 1.8 kW.

The existing rad seems to be about the right size when its a convector rad with the fins on the back.

Tony

Yeah the old one could be reused sure. We were just advised that it was too big for where it's located due to the reasons i provided in the opening post.

Obviously we took what this guy said as it's his job. Doesn't mean he's right i admit, but you'd think people should know their job (again, i know some don't it seems).

Oh & there is a TRV on the end of the existing rad.

Yes, solid walls & i think you're right - 100mm loft insulation as i think this was done a good few years ago. No doubt in 20 years time the spec would state 500mm loft insulation required & 20 years beyond that 1000mm :)

So are you saying the advice provided by this chap is nonsense & just to reuse the existing rad?

I can only guess that he is short of work and thinks that you are very gullible!

How can anyone believe that its necessary to replace rads to fit a smaller one!

The more heat output the better! The TRV will turn it off as soon as the room reaches the right temperature.

Tony

Thanks. I took what he said as thought he'd be offering sound advice but i always like to check up when people are telling me to empty my pockets.

We've asked him to re-fit the original radiator.

Regarding inhibitor ........ how much do you stick in the system? I know this will depend on how much the system holds but i don't know how to answer that.

I know the rad in the bedroom in question is 1600-x-600 & i'd say the one in the 2nd bedroom & living room is the same size.
Then there's a 'small one' (i don't have measurements in the 2mtr-x-2mtr box room, a similar sized one in the hall, towel rack one in the bathroom, another small one in the living room (to go with the large one), a medium in the diner & a small one in the kitchen.

I'd have a bash at re-fitting myself & doing the inhibitor but i know i'll end up calling someone out to sort out a bent pipe as i have a habit of bending them. I just wonder how much inhibitor he should be sticking in?

You cannot overdose with inhibitor.

An average three bed semi needs one litre bottle.

Generally one litre of X100 to 80 litres of system water.

But anything smaller still use the 1 litre bottle!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back