Suitable respirator for lead paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Can anyone recommend a suitable respirator for dealing with lead based paint? Ideally fumes though also scraping and sanding?

3M do a specific mask though I can't find this in the UK. Only available from the states so means waiting ages for it to arrive :(

Also 3M do lead testing kits only available in the US where the postage costs more than the item! Does the UK not care much about lead poisoning or something?

Sponsored Links
'Cos over here we Brits are 'ard, been using lead since Roman times;)

Knew I had seen kits somewhere, just remembered. https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/BN40065

They may do a suitable mask too.

If you use chemical stripper there will be no lead fumes, a hot air gun will also reduce fumes a lot as long as you don't get the paint so hot it starts to char or burn. Old timers used to burn off with a blow-lamp now that is a sure way to get a lung-full!:eek:

cheers fp, yeah I saw the ones in brewers, though they seem just as pricey as the ones from the states around £40 I think :( I was using the heat gun though would get the odd wiff of fumes sometimes. Also the problem with the heat gun is it blows all the dust everywhere so need to be careful. I'm going to chemical strip the hallway as there is no ventilation in there and maybe partially heatgun the rooms.

I managed to pick up a lead paint test kit from eBay a couple of years back. The test was like a pen that you scrub on the lead and then it it turns red, lead is present. I removed all the paint on my stairs with a Bahco scraper, was much easier than chemicals or a paint stripper. Just gave me RSI for a time afterwards!!

Sponsored Links
I've seen the scrapper technique. Was it easy? Looks like it creates alot of dust no? The videos they're all in hazmat gear with respirators which the area plastic contained like something out of E.T. :D chemicals are good as they don't create too much dust but are slow.

Yes the scraper was easy, i got through a few of the spare blades. I tried the heat gun on a piece of skirting that had been removed and it was a slow process. I only had the original paint and a coat of white gloss to remove. The paint came off in flakes. Here is the finished stairs
IMG_2421.JPG

looks good! I might try the scraper on the cupboard wall paint as not sure how the chemical would react to it. Did your paint test positive for lead in the end? Van you remember how much the kit cost?

Yes, I had lead paint, the house is from 1890 ish so lead paint and old gas lights!!! Luckily it had only been covered by one dodgy coat of white gloss by me about 20 years ago so there wasn't to much to remove!
The test kit was about £6/8 ish, under a tenner for sure. I got it from eBay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back