Suitable waterproof tape for a temporary repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So,

Some roofers re-roofed our flat roof some 30 months ago. They removed a felt roof (which had done close to 20 year's service) with an (allegedly) Firestone EDPM rubber roof (turns out it isn't Firestone but something similar).

20th October, Storm Babet happens and the roof leaks. Not the rubber membrane but where the rubber roof meets the gable wall. They fitted a metal trim over the EDPM and then applied some 'gunk' between the trim and the wall (it isn't silicone, I think it is a sort of grey mastic), but they didn't do a terribly good job (given that the storm found all the holes that they'd left in the mastic) and the penetrating water brought down a ceiling inside.

Due to the fact that these guys took their hats and spurs off and hid their horses around the corner before doing the roof, we've not asked them back!

Given that we can't get the roof repaired/replaced before early January, I was wondering if there was a waterproof tape I could use to cover the join between the metal trimand the brickwork - bearing in mind that given the current weather, the bricks are both wet and cold.

In essence, I'm looking for a waterproof tape with adhesive that will work in the cold and stick to wet brickwork!

Such a thing exist?

Thanks inanticipation,

XRD

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In essence, I'm looking for a waterproof tape with adhesive that will work in the cold and stick to wet brickwork!

Such a thing exist?
Not really no. Denso tape is about as good as it gets. Masonry is porous so has a somewhat dynamic moisture content depending on the weather, meaning all tapes fail when the masonry gets wet. Add this to the fact that there are few products that can successfully sustain the temperature changes throughout the year.

Not really no. Denso tape is about as good as it gets. Masonry is porous so has a somewhat dynamic moisture content depending on the weather, meaning all tapes fail when the masonry gets wet. Add this to the fact that there are few products that can successfully sustain the temperature changes throughout the year.
That's useful information, thanks.

All I need is a 'temporary repair' to last until 3rd Jan when the roof is booked in to be done.

XRD

So,

Some roofers re-roofed our flat roof some 30 months ago. They removed a felt roof (which had done close to 20 year's service) with an (allegedly) Firestone EDPM rubber roof (turns out it isn't Firestone but something similar).

20th October, Storm Babet happens and the roof leaks. Not the rubber membrane but where the rubber roof meets the gable wall. They fitted a metal trim over the EDPM and then applied some 'gunk' between the trim and the wall (it isn't silicone, I think it is a sort of grey mastic), but they didn't do a terribly good job (given that the storm found all the holes that they'd left in the mastic) and the penetrating water brought down a ceiling inside.

Due to the fact that these guys took their hats and spurs off and hid their horses around the corner before doing the roof, we've not asked them back!

Given that we can't get the roof repaired/replaced before early January, I was wondering if there was a waterproof tape I could use to cover the join between the metal trimand the brickwork - bearing in mind that given the current weather, the bricks are both wet and cold.

Such a thing exist?

Thanks inanticipation,

XRD

was the metal trim not chased into the wall? - if not it’s not that hard to cut a chase and put in some lead flashing, that’s the only permanent solution. No proper roofer would try and seal an abutment without chasing in.

Im surprised the original felt roof didn’t have lead flashing .

If the gable wall of the house is a cavity, are there cavity trays fitted? -I guess if not and you never had a problem before, that shouldn’t be a source now.

That's useful information, thanks.

All I need is a 'temporary repair' to last until 3rd Jan when the roof is booked in to be done.

XRD

I have flashband work for 10 years with issue, but applied dry/warm, to bare brick.

was the metal trim not chased into the wall? - if not it’s not that hard to cut a chase and put in some lead flashing, that’s the only permanent solution. No proper roofer would try and seal an abutment without chasing in.

Err... not to my knowledge. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures when J. Wayne & Co were busy "working".

Im surprised the original felt roof didn’t have lead flashing .

I think it may have done (can't remember now)

If the gable wall of the house is a cavity, are there cavity trays fitted? -I guess if not and you never had a problem before, that shouldn’t be a source now.

Was that a thing in the mid-1950's when this house was built?

There is a basement original to the house with several rooms but evidently no external tanking.

They did things differently in the 1950's!

XRD

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back