Summer House Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 20541 View media item 20542 View media item 20538Hello

My girlfriend's Dad wants to extend the summer house at the back of the garden to install a W/C (gardens 50m long so a trip to the top and upstairs is a bit inconvenient).

I've done some thinking for the electrics and was wondering if you could take a look? Sorry about the picture quality, a victim of the forum's compression software...

Basically there's a 40A cartridge fuse in the old fuse box in the house. This feeds the summer house consumer unit via 10mm SWA/T+E. The main incomer at the summer house is 30mA RCD protected.

The main circuits will be as follows:

• Existing B32 mains ring kept as is
    New B10 2.5mm route to heaters in wash room/WC fed from FCUs via wall-mounted thermostat
    Existing C16 shed sub-main to be kept as is
    Existing B6 lighting circuit extended in 1.5mm to lights in wash room/WC with wall switches
    Existing B6 garden lighting circuit kept as is
    New B32 6mm circuit to in-line water heater located adjacent to/under wash basin.
What do you guys think? Have I covered everything?

EDIT:
Note there are separate discussion regarding the building and plumbing works on the other forums.

Sponsored Links
Excuse me for saying, but I've got a problem with the logic of this proposal.
Not a problem :cool:

The bar area does'nt appear to be heated, so I assume only for summer user.
It's used once or twice in the autumn/winter for parties etc. There are two 2.5kW plug-in heaters in there for this purpose (one set at 5 degrees to stop damp and protect the tele).

fit a small instantanious water heater over the basin.
I didn't know you could get instantaneous over-sink water heaters? I thought they were all the storage type (with the spouts you mean?).

Sponsored Links
fit a small instantanious water heater over the basin.
I didn't know you could get instantaneous over-sink water heaters? I thought they were all the storage type (with the spouts you mean?).
As suggested by Holmslaw, something like this might be an idea. Ideal for occasional use as it saves heating a large amount of water and keeping it hot.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'd be surprised if the LABC don't get a bit antsy about that.

They tend to hate basins and wc's in summer houses because they can then be developed in to annex living accomodaton.

Does he intend to inform them via plaining or PD requirements ?

It also leads on to how would the waste for wc, grey and rain water be connected to the main outs 45M+ away.

I note your diagram says TNCS.
i don't know if you have considered it and i can't tell from the diagram, but have you considered 'exporting earth or TT'ing' the remote building?

i don't know if you have considered it and i can't tell from the diagram, but have you considered 'exporting earth or TT'ing' the remote building?
I have, but it's always had an exported earth so I'm thinking of leaving it that way. The equipotential zone is not exported: there is no extraneous conductive steelwork and no Class 1 equipment is in use. If the situation changes then yes, TT will be considered as an option.

I'm pretty sure you'll need planning permission, as I think that the provision of water and WC etc makes it a "habitable space". The council will know for sure, though.

You will certainly need Building Regulations approval.

And you'll need agreement from the water company to connect to their sewer - that also costs money to apply for.

Running a water supply and drainage 50m or more is going to destroy the garden and cost a lot of money.

Just build a compost heap behind the summer house. (Put steps and a platform across it for the benefit of the ladies, if you like... ;) )

I'm pretty sure you'll need planning permission
I hope not :rolleyes: have been reading the guidance online for outbuildings. Apparantly it all changed in 2008 (?).

You will certainly need Building Regulations approval.
And that, my friend, is why I'm here ;) .

And you'll need agreement from the water company to connect to their sewer - that also costs money to apply for.
I'm under the impression it will be a private drain as it was installed after 1939.

Running a water supply and drainage 50m or more is going to destroy the garden and cost a lot of money.
There's a soil pipe running behind the summer house with an inpection pit(marked 'drain' on the plan).

don't forget the bonding to the water pipes...

do you already have water in there for the "bar" area?

if you don't and you'll be digging up the garden for water pipes anyway, consider putting a gas pipe in and using that for hot water and heating..?

The plumbing will be done in plastic, and there's already a water standpipe fed by PVC outside which will be extended into the building.

Gas is too far away I think, but thanks for the suggestion.

I hope not :rolleyes: have been reading the guidance online for outbuildings. Apparantly it all changed in 2008 (?).
The rules for outbuildings may not apply to ones which are considered habitable. Just check with your council - write them a letter so that they have to reply in writing.

I'd suggest not just hoping it'll be OK - the get very upset about planning contraventions, and can and do make people tear things down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back