summerhouse/cabin floor and ventilation

PE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have just had a cabin style insulated summerhouse installed this week and a couple of bits now to finish off myself:-

1. The building sits on bearers and I wish to finish off the look a little better by shielding the ends of the bearers from view. Was thinking of installing a lattice style cover along the length where the ends of the bearers show which could be stained the same colour as the summerhouse. Would this still allow enough ventilation do you think? Any better solutions anyone?

2. The underfloor is the only part not insulated and was thinking of merely varnishing the floorboards but now think this may be too draughty? Any thoughts of best floor covering for a cabin (will be used by all family as a summerhouse and likely play room I would guess)

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1) Your idea is fine.

2) Should've insulated before the floor went down. You could always try to lift the floorboards and put some polystyrene between the joists. Anyway, you've stated the use as being:

a) In the Summer, so insulation not really necessary.

b) Used by the kids, don't worry, kids don't feel cold/draughts. Actually neither do adults unless they've been 'bred' to.

You could always put laminate flooring down on an underlay.

Thanks for reply

As you say to be mainly used in summer so hopefully floor won't be too much of issue. Will varnish and then can see if underlay and laminate or similar is needed later I guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back