Summerhouse pp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m building a summerhouse aiming for 3 meters at front total height as I’m 6ft4 and need headroom.
If someone grasses me up for planning permission would I be told to rip it down or do you think they may be lenient for 500mm

I know it’s kinda of a god knows question but if anyone has had any experience ect

Sponsored Links
If you build something without Planning approval, then Planning will ask that an application is submitted or they’ll take action for the structure(s) to be removed.

It appears the 500mm you’re referring to is the Permitted Development guideline of an overall height of 2.5m if an outbuilding is located within 2m of a boundary? The PD guidelines are strict and if the outbuilding does not meet the guidelines, it will not be considered to be PD and you would be asked to submit a formal Planning application. 500mm even in normal Planning situations is a big difference and is something LPA’s will not just take a blind eye to.

Yes 2.5 within 2 meters of boundary. Do they generally allow you to apply for planning permission afterwards if someone has a problem with it.
It’s being built properly and neatly.

Yes, they’d just describe as a retrospective application. The LPA would give you the chance to submit a formal application before they’d even consider enforcement action.

Sponsored Links
Why not just go for PP. Its only a couple hundred quid or so.

Why not just go for PP. Its only a couple hundred quid or so.

Would I then need buildings regs ect at 3m high 20sqm within 1 meter of boundary?
Plus I would need to get some drawings done and my budget is tight.

spent 2k already and easily got another 3k to spend

No BR under 30sqm UNLESS it is not built of substantially inflammable materials AND it is less than 1m from boundary. So if its an all-timber - keep it >1m from boundary.

Plans for PP can be hand drawn -don't have to be that detailed - just show dimensions/materials/colours etc. - only need to show planners where its located and what it will look like. They don't care about how its structurally built - that's BR which you probably won't need. The "location" plans can be done online for about £20 - very easy process.e.g. https://www.requestaplan.co.uk/?gcl...HmdOQxdFWUpMxQaMt8NZ-a49OCccdzdoaAvfGEALw_wcB

This maybe interesting for you.

Chap on Youtube "Ali Dymock" has a superb guide to building an outbuilding, well explained and in several parts.
His build is within 1 Metre of the boundary but he explains in Part.3 how he obtained permission for 3 Metre height.

If within 1 Metre of the boundary it must be constructed of non-combustible materials.
He was allowed to use Cement Board Cladding after emailing the local BCO and again is explained in Part.3

Here's the link to Part.1, stay with it, it's a VERY useful guide :

Good luck!

Last edited:
Some good info there thanks
Found it. Andy

It's a cracking guide, nice to see his project progressing in stages with every video well explained in detail.
His results show what can be achieved just from doing your homework.

Some may prefer an alternative method for supporting his pillars for the base frame but apart from that it's near perfect.

Ron :)

E90F3BBF-3888-41C1-B40B-84D7F11FB3C9.jpeg
So I’d need building control then as I’m within 1 meter. So they’d prob make me start doing extra things or not like something I’ve done.
So far I’m at this stage
Just waiting for a wood delivery on tuesday

View attachment 188694 So I’d need building control then as I’m within 1 meter. So they’d prob make me start doing extra things or not like something I’ve done.
So far I’m at this stage
Just waiting for a wood delivery on tuesday

That's coming on well :)
What's the internal floor area in square metre's?

If it's less than 15 Square Metres then guides say building regulations do not apply.

Also, if you can keep it under 2.5M in height from floor to the flat roof then guides also say you need not apply for planning permission.

To recap :
1. If it's less than 2.5M in height total then PP not required.
2. If it has less than 15 Square Metres internal floor space the BR not required.

So if you tick both to above, build and enjoy.

Last edited:
I’m 20sqm 5x4
I might try keep it at 2.5 but I’m 6ft4 so need to see what head room I’ve got.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back